• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof repair recommendation

mhoffperson

My 2002's sunroof stopped working. The handle turns, and feels like it reaches stops at both ends of the normal number of turns, but the top does not move. I think the sunroof is also due for a new gasket. Any recommendations of repair shops in the San Francisco Bay Area that have done this type of work on our cars? I 'm in Oakland but will travel for a good repair. I normally do most of my own wrenching but I will defer to an experienced hand on this job. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My 2002's sunroof stopped working. The handle turns, and feels like it reaches stops at both ends of the normal number of turns, but the top does not move. I think the sunroof is also due for a new gasket. Any recommendations of repair shops in the San Francisco Bay Area that have done this type of work on our cars? I 'm in Oakland but will travel for a good repair. I normally do most of my own wrenching but I will defer to an experienced hand on this job. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It's not that hard to fix yourself if you want to learn about these sometimes "finicky" '02 sunroofs. New replacement parts are becoming NLA or extremely expensive (like the cables). Most of us here with s/r's can walk you through it, but if you are set on taking it somewhere that's your call.

I guess I'm too cheap to let someone else repair what I would probably do better myself, learn something along the way, and keep other hands "off my car" - invariably something else breaks when I have repairs done "anywhere" but home - and even then I break things - but I have the comfort of knowing what happened!

Good Luck if you take it somewhere...you're in CA, so there are shops that know what they are doing most likely. If you want to tackle it your self give me a hollar!

John

• Like 1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

archives; also I did a column on sunroof removal/repair several years ago. If you want a copy, drop me an e-mail and I'll be glad to sent it to you. I suspect the little plastic tangs on the ends of the cables have broken.

Someday some clever person is gonna make new tangs our of metal that can be clamped onto otherwise perfectly good cables to make repairing sunroofs more economical...

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 11 years later...

http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/sunroof.htm

this shows in detail how it all goes together. only thing thats wrong here is that the felt seal comes in 2 pieces...one long  piece goes around the front and sides of the opening, whereas the short piece *should* be attached to the sliding panel, not to the car roof.

to get started you need to pry the front edge of the interior trim panel away..its held on with 5 spring clips..thats easy if you can open the roof a few inches...but still possible even with it closed. once un clipped slide the trim panel back to expose the mechanism.

• Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

On 7/9/2018 at 10:08 AM, spuriouspseudo said:

I did a video of my repair, not the most detailed how-to, but you'll see what you need to get into.

I used 3d printed parts that are linked in the video comments and these to redo the crimps:

image.png.e44b0d395d9e392172f367ddf9d55291.png

Here's the vid:

Awesome video, thank you for taking the time to make that? 3D printer link doesn’t work though 

Edited by Coastalcrush408

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...