• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Input please- fuel sender mod

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Second time this year my fuel sender assembly has come apart in the tank-rattling around most disconcertingly. I propose to remove large aluminum tube and all sending wires and the screens at the bottom- just a bare tube for fuel pickup. Put some kind of generic pep boys filter on the end of the tube and drive by the odometer. Just until I can find the proper replacement sending unit- I like driving my car too much to let it sit.

TIA

Robert

Guest Anonymous

IIRC, there are enough threads open at the end of the shaft that holds everything together at the bottom of the unit to add a second nut and lock it to the first. That would hold everything together.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Put everything back together the way the factory designed it. Then, after the retaining nuts are back in place, squeeze the threads on the shaft just enough to deform them just a bit to prevent them from coming loose.........just like the factory did.