• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should we introduce Specific Topic forums

Should we introduce Specific Topic forums  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should we introduce Specific Topic forums

• Yes
    • No

• Administrators

The question for the poll is: Should the site have separate forums for specific topics?

The new forums would be:

-Body and Interior

-Electrical And Ignition

-Engine and Drivetrain

-Steering, Suspension, and Bakes

steve k

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

I really like it as it is, with the single 02 general discussion forum. Jumping from one specialty forum to another would be cumbersome and cut the exposure of any given thread to the general FAQ population. I have seen other auto sites overclassify the tech forums and it ends up cutting the volume/hits across the board.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

No to specific forums!

It would take me longer to read through 4 forums instead of 1! I still gather bits of 02 wisdom from posts that I quickly judge from the subject line to be entirely besides my educational needs.

Good thing I'm curious! Or I'm a really bad judge of subject lines.

Either way, I like the board this way.

Thanks for the board and efforts! Pierre

More power!

I think it should be seperated as then things dont end up 10 pages back after a week and forgotten. With search being a tad tedious on the site, I think it is a great idea to seperate the forum into different groups.

All the other forums I visit have it seperated and it makes finding more specific information much easier. Until you try it, it is tough to say no.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

I voted no, but maybe there should be a "Just keep it going section" and a "Proper restoration" area. Also a high performance area....

Hmm..... I think I like it as it is.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I voted no but:

YES:

MUCH easier on the Mods.

easier to search and group similar info

more focused, better, answers in a given subject

many other forums use this format

Best for the forum and the moderators IMHO

Where do I post X? What if I dont know where to put my post?

NO:

Only one reason comes to mind - COMMUNITY!

I like that I know what random questions members are asking... my dumb shit, BLUNT's trim, Karl's trailing arm, Lee's brakes, 200tmaniac's side skirt ?'s.

You get to know what everyone is up to and keep in touch more. It is more of a social place rather than a tech help hotline / forum.

Just my .02

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I hate to even suggest this cos I'd probably have to figure out how it would work BUT

if when you post in the general forum there was a pull down menu at the bottom with the categories

-Body and Interior

-Electrical And Ignition

-Engine and Drivetrain

-General

that would allow us to tag a post with an ID associated with those categories. So while it would still go into the general forum, you could filter existing general posts by category.

Like at the bottom of the page you'd see

filter by

-Body and Interior

-Electrical And Ignition

-Engine and Drivetrain

-General

I don't know why that would be any better than separate forums, but it would give users the ability to see specific topic sets while also letting others just see them as they come up (as they are now).

The other thing about making new forums is naturally what do you do with the existing forums.. anyone want to go through them all and tag them by subject?

And what about when someone posts an ignition problem to the body and interior forum? Do we need mods on hand to move it ?

I do like the idea of posts being categorized .. it would cut the search space for users needing a solution too. Why search the whole database on an ignition issue when you can search that category kind of thing.

ok its late..

:)

I would recommend against specific forums.

this is essentially what Roadfly did several years ago. They used to be a simple little forum where people could gather and exchange comments for individual BMW makes, just like here. But then, they were commercialized and someone realized that they had the makings of an empire.

It had the effect of diluting the community and as a result, I rarely ever visit Roadfly. You've got a nice thing going here. Preserve it.

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

that is a great idea, Z. Think we can implement it and then enforce it?

steve k.

I think you guys are on to something here... I would take a look at www.msefi.com (Megasquirt) and their rules to make it easier on the mods. Rules involving cross posting (Mods delete as they please the least applicable one) Also rules like if your post does not get a response in 30 days it will be deleted.

I like the format here but I do think that if the search tool was improved than perhaps we would see less of the repeat posts? Another area to develop is the FAQs to provide better help up front without the need to search.

Keep up the good work!!!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

My precipitous decrease in posts( always trying to share info, not gossip), was due to the "development" of the FAQ Board. I find it rough to navigate and I still cannot post a picture fom my extensive picture archives in Fototime to this Board. Ya, I guess I am just one of the old farts bitching about the days when we had dollar gas and honest transactions among fellow enthusiasts,(v. Ebay sales by vultures to commited preservationsits who have to pay inflated prices. ) But, I digress.... please leave the Board the way it is, and please email me the way to post a pic of my car with my posts ,and a way to share my pics with the members. Al the time I spent writing FAQ information in the past seems to merit this small accomodation. I still have a lot of useful info for the Board that I cannot relate with my current knowledge.. Sorry for my inexperience; Please do not confuse this with a luddite attitude. I used to monitor this Board from every country I stopped in , daily, weekly: since the "transformation" , I barely visit this Forum/Board anymore. How 'bout some help?Anyone???? And please, Board Rulers: do not change the status quo- it seems to be sufficient. Mr. Jay Kehoe

1971 Sahara, 1972 Inka tii with Alpina A4 Injection. Both cars have too many upgrades for the "signature" square. 1987 M325ic daily driver( all E30M3 except chassis).