Sign in to follow this  
JohnN

A simple solution to stop these damn piss match threads. . .

31 posts / 6648 viewsLast Reply

Don't respond to them (PERIOD)

The sad fact is there are people who frequent this board that apparently don't have a life and thrive on stirring things up. You're never going to get the last word with esty, give up trying.

If you ignore the posters, they'll go away and find someone else to annoy.

I've been an active member and supporter of this board since its inception, please, please, please lets not destroy it.

Just say NO.

John N

Don't respond to them (PERIOD)

If you ignore the posters, they'll go away and find someone else to annoy.

Just say NO.

John N

When you read back through these particular posts it is clear that there are those among us that antagonize, those that pour fuel on the fire once things get started, those that try to get the last word in, and those that just outright start the darn things.

In sports you'll notice that the retaliatory act is the one that is most often called and usually receives the harsher penalty. My hockey coach used to tell us before every game that anger is one letter short of danger.

I couldn't agree with you more John. There are those of us who need to exercise self control and NOT RESPOND to the antagonistic remark, there are those of us who need to use some common sense and KEEP YOUR LID SHUT and not start something, and the rest of the group should just pass over the threads and not validate them with even a view.

By ignoring the attention-seeking trouble maker they will go away eventually.

Happy holidays to all.....

I have said this a million times and I will say it again:

I am a software engineer. I am single and young with plenty of time. If they dont make a plugin for phpBB for blocking, flagging, etc, I will build one. Take it or leave it. I keep offering and no one ever gives me access to the beta server for development.

Z, Steve?

Its not a can of worms. You do what Craigslist does. You allow add a "flag" button. It is completely anonymous and if x people flag an article it hides.

My standpoint on many things in this life is be proactive no reactive.

It is simple: if someone is uncivil, belligerent, hostile, or otherwise acting like a preschooler who has to have the last word, you SHUN them. This forum is for adults. You can disagree, argue, or complain, but keep it civil and have some self-respect.

im too new to know this but is this what happened at roadrash before everyone split to form this forum??

Its not a can of worms. You do what Craigslist does. You allow add a "flag" button. It is completely anonymous and if x people flag an article it hides.

My standpoint on many things in this life is be proactive no reactive.

I like that idea.

Do we have an option to block people?

Blocking is not a good option IMO. Unless Mods were to block an entire IP address there's nothing stopping an individual from going out creating 10 different screen names.

It should be easier than that.

Also just like in many other things in life the individuals in question (especially here and on BOTH sides) are very bright talented individuals who from time to time do have much to contribute. IMO blocking or banning these individuals would be a loss to the community - or I would miss their input.

I believe that no action is action as well as I think that maybe it's time to add a few additional Admins or Modds and just more aggressively move the posts to the Personal Attacks or Off Topic forums.

Rather than treating the symptom try to address the problem. We (Westerners), IMO look to treat symptoms rather than root problems more often than not. When you treat a symptom rather than the actual problem you either cheat yourself into thinking everything is OK when it's not - or you create a bigger problem - or both....

im too new to know this but is this what happened at roadrash before everyone split to form this forum??

Roadrash was very "controling". Can't post ads, can't say that against a sponsor. They wanted to rule everything. People got tired of being constantly told what to do or not to do.

In regard of those with "hot blooded" posters, why doesn't everyone signs in with a "posting permit" that includes a certain number of points. Everytime that person gets flagged, she/he will be removed some points. Then when there is no more point, there is no more permit to post. That means: bye bye. let me assure you, that the closer to the end, the more polite that person becomes.

I am myself so tired to hear those who always find a good reason to be agressive and to piss-off peoples.

Roadrash was very "controling". Can't post ads, can't say that against a sponsor. They wanted to rule everything. People got tired of being constantly told what to do or not to do.

In regard of those with "hot blooded" posters, why doesn't everyone signs in with a "posting permit" that includes a certain number of points. Everytime that person gets flagged, she/he will be removed some points. Then when there is no more point, there is no more permit to post. That means: bye bye. let me assure you, that the closer to the end, the more polite that person becomes.

I am myself so tired to hear those who always find a good reason to be agressive and to piss-off peoples.

Thats a pretty good idea. sort of like ebay ratings. Who will administer the points deductions is my question?

Thats a pretty good idea. sort of like ebay ratings. Who will administer the points deductions is my question?

Now this is a can of worms IMO. A simple anonymous way to flag a post is easy and quiet.