Sign in to follow this  
JohnN

A simple solution to stop these damn piss match threads. . .

31 posts / 6663 viewsLast Reply

Yeah - but i can see that turning into someone posting a flag every time AL posts - ya know? A neutral party would need to be responsible for that.

I agree. In our case a registered user only gets to vote once and only once. In any case, I agree that this probably would create complications. This is just the only fair, clean, and anonymous way of doing it IMO.

The current system is fine IMO, being based primarily on free speech and personal responsibility. Blocking, bans, points, quotas, etc would poison FAQ. Reputation counters on forums are worthless and are generally controlled by the clicks with the most free time to skew the results.

vBulettin allows you to "block" a users posts, it comes up with a descrete message where the poster has posted saying "You have this user blocked. To view post, click here [hyperlink]".

This allows you to decide who you see and has nothing to do with what the mod team - which makes it totally personal and anonymous.

Todd

...just say NO.

You and Nancy Reagan, dude!

here again, we have another holier than though pentecostal whiner that can't keep the crap contain'd...

this is the 2nd thread someone's started bellyaching about something someone else said or did.... i've not heard anybody crying about anything but the religious fanatics and a few of the genuine BMW enthusiast

re: block button...i suggested it a while back but it's apparently beyond what they're able to do....it won't work anyway...the people that cry the loudest need to see the death and destruction to keep them alive, to give them something to cy and bitch about...they wouldn't have the will power to block a user without losing sleep about what they may have missed

"they ain't happy unless they have something to complain about" would far outweigh any voluntary self control

vBulettin allows you to "block" a users posts, it comes up with a descrete message where the poster has posted saying "You have this user blocked. To view post, click here [hyperlink]".

This allows you to decide who you see and has nothing to do with what the mod team - which makes it totally personal and anonymous.

Todd

exactly and i've 2 times offered to buy a vb license so the whiners would have a pacifier....as stated though....they'll still click those links because they must know what they're missing

Rendering plant odor coming in from the South.

As for your comment on the other thread about how many people view your threads....... that MOST certainly validates your presence on the FAQ board. Sure it does.

I think its more akin to stopping by the geek cage at the freak show and tossing a chicken head in.

Jerry

I think its more akin to stopping by the geek cage at the freak show and tossing a chicken head in.

Jerry

that says a few words about how the low life that visits the zoo get there kicks then....hey curry

re...the other...don't you imagine elvis was aware of the impact he had on other people....lennon too?

i know who and what i am mr curry

Guys, blocking people will not solve the problem of flame wars it will just hide them from you. They will still be visible to everyone else. The only real solution is not to start the flame wars or participate in them.

flagging posts might work, but i am not sure if we are big enough to have it work properly and not be abused.

steve k.

.........I'd have a ball being a freak show geek.

Course when asked by a preponderance of the audience to stop, I'd actually um.....oblige.

I'm funny that way.....you know, considering the feelings of others.

Jerry

I'm funny that way.....you know, considering the feelings of others.

Jerry

me too jerry but i have a rule about not giving in to kids tossing a temper tantrum

people that like to cry, whine, piss & moan about what other people do & say need things to pitch their little fits about....don't you agree

think about what all the Bush haters would do, if Kerry had been elected

Don't respond to them (PERIOD)

The sad fact is there are people who frequent this board that apparently don't have a life and thrive on stirring things up. You're never going to get the last word with esty, give up trying.

If you ignore the posters, they'll go away and find someone else to annoy.

I've been an active member and supporter of this board since its inception, please, please, please lets not destroy it.

Just say NO.

John N

Weren't you the one that started some ridiculous poll about Esty? I think it is funny how the people who protest the most seem to fuel people like Esty's ego the most. Its all about ego.

It's funny you post "the answer" to Esty and end up creating a post with 25+ posts.

I have given up caring about the posts. A long time ago the FAQ board ceased to be an enthusiast DIY board and is now a social community - not a bad thing - just it has evolved into something new. C'est la vie.

You know SteveK and Rob started this deal so folk could say what they say in response to roadfly being a bunch of fascists. Me and Mike (mostly Mike) came along and tried to help transition the old static HTML file system to a database driven system in order to improve searches and help manage a community that had basically over grown the old system.

At first I was arguing for more moderators and such .. but i've come around to the idea that LIKE IT OR NOT folk will say things a that are annoying and might disrupt things from time to time. Kinda like real life ya?

Like driving on the roads in your fine 2002 .. sometimes folk will cut you off, get in your lane.. even get you in a wreck. Such is life..

The benefit of having free speech -- no cops and no speed limit if you will -- outweighs the suffering you might get from the occasinal discomfort.

This is the autobahn I reckon .. we (the admins) will move the complete wrecks to the OT or personal attacks but otherwise we're hands off as much as possible.

Life is a highway ya?? :)

So just make the best of it. I sure hope the positive outweighs the negative .. and you can always just use your fine hominid brains to ignore a message or person you don't like. No reason to rely on software to do it for you :) The brains in even the dumbest human are far superior to the pathetic processor running this server. You all drive 70's era cars right?.. tune your own damn carbs!!!

my 02 cents

-zachary in Langlois