kangarooboy

Fuel? Air? Spark? WTF?

8 posts / 1222 viewsLast Reply

After a recent cylinder head / carb rebuild I'm having some trouble getting my car to run properly.

What I have:

A rebuilt E12 head, 83 casting. It has a 292 Ireland Engineering reground cam. Motor has piano top pistons. The carb is a recently rebuilt Weber 32/36 DGAV fed by a new Carter 4070 fuel pump. Fuel pressure is just over 5 psi. There is a Bosch blue coil, plug wires are a few months old, plugs are fairly new Bosch WR8DC, points and condensor are both new. Dwell is at about 57 degrees and I get a nice blue spark when I take a plug out. Exhaust is a mystery header with a full new Ansa exhaust. Every fitting on the intake manifold has been taken out and silicone sealed or plugged with a vaccum cap.

The problem:

It's very (VERY) hard to start it without it flooding and/or fouling plugs. When it does start it does so with some sputtering and then idles beautifully at around 1500 but doesn't rev smoothly. And it seems to eventually just die. I was able to drive it down the street Sunday but it wasn't running well at all and I came back pretty quickly.

Before I took it apart for the rebuild the car started on the first crank, drove fine and had plenty of power. It did stumble a bit at idle.

I think that is too much fuel pressure. I thought I read one of CD's replies that called for around 3 p.s.i. (for some reason 2.7 is the number I remember).

Good Luck

It's unanymoose-

you have too much fuel pressure.

It leads to an overful float bowl, and flooding.

We hope.

I had a bad needle valve in a Royze rebuild kit the other day-

caused no end of puzzlement. Almost as bad as the condenser

that went bad after 5 minutes of running...

t

I tracked down a fuel pressure regulator here in town (1-5 psi) and I'll report back on it's effects once it's installed.

Thanks, hopefully I'll be a little closer to having a drivable 02 again!

After a recent cylinder head / carb rebuild I'm having some trouble getting my car to run properly.

What I have:

A rebuilt E12 head, 83 casting. It has a 292 Ireland Engineering reground cam. Motor has piano top pistons. The carb is a recently rebuilt Weber 32/36 DGAV fed by a new Carter 4070 fuel pump. Fuel pressure is just over 5 psi. There is a Bosch blue coil, plug wires are a few months old, plugs are fairly new Bosch WR8DC, points and condensor are both new. Dwell is at about 57 degrees and I get a nice blue spark when I take a plug out. Exhaust is a mystery header with a full new Ansa exhaust. Every fitting on the intake manifold has been taken out and silicone sealed or plugged with a vaccum cap.

The problem:

It's very (VERY) hard to start it without it flooding and/or fouling plugs. When it does start it does so with some sputtering and then idles beautifully at around 1500 but doesn't rev smoothly. And it seems to eventually just die. I was able to drive it down the street Sunday but it wasn't running well at all and I came back pretty quickly.

Before I took it apart for the rebuild the car started on the first crank, drove fine and had plenty of power. It did stumble a bit at idle.

Did u double, tripple... check your firing order? is it 1-3-4-2 or 1-4-3-2 (it's written on your valve cover)

And while you're in the process of getting your fuel pressure down a little, get rid of the resistor-type spark plugs. They do not do well in ' 02s. This has been mentioned about a zillion times on this board. Get some Bosch Super W8DCs for your car. (If they're not available locally, contact Carl @ LaJolla Independent. bimmerdoc.com

Bob Napier

I vote no on the fuel pressure issue, so its not unanimous.

I've been running an unregulated 4070 for over a year, and its fine. Many others do the same. Last time I checked the description of the 4070, it claims to be self-regulating.

Anyways, I say ignition timing, since that hasn't been mentioned. Put the distributor in properly? Rotor in there right? firing order correct? If all is OK, just start rotating the distributor around until you find a place it runs good. Try advancing it till it starts to idle fine, then back it off slightly, tighten it down, and take it for a ride.