Grant

VIN Decoding?

4 posts / 688 viewsLast Reply

I'm having a little bit of a problem determining exactly what kind of car I have. :)

First of all, if I go to any of the VIN decoders (or use realoem.com), it comes back as an E30, due to the later cars using the same digits for the last 7 of their VIN.

When I put in the VIN at the 2002registry site, it showed the car as a 1970 1600. However, the email I got from MT said the car was built on November 12th, 1970. Wouldn't this make it an early '71 car? Or would this be a leftover '70 model?

The VIN is 1572148. Is the actual model year indicated in the VIN?

I don't actually have the title for the car yet, so that adds to the confusion. Luckily I was able to use the site http://www.bmw-02-club.de/fgnr.htm to find out that it's definitely a 1600-2. Somewhere down the line it got a 2002 badge on the back. :)

Thanks for any help!

Guest Anonymous

vin 1572148 definitely a '70 1600, manufactured late 1970. That year includes Vins from 1570705 thru 1572399. There were 1695 1600s built that year.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks both of you. I hadn't ever noticed the VIN table on the FAQ before!

I just thought that November 1970 would be a little late for an actual '70 year model, but I guess not.

I'm glad that's cleared up. Now I need to fix my sig. Again. :)