rcantu

need opinion on price of 2002....

18 posts / 1783 viewsLast Reply

hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to get the expert opinions here.

i've been talking to this guy about his 74 2002 and wanting to know if you think it's a good deal.

it's not a tii. but he says the motor rebuild cost him $6k and was dynoed at 150hp. body was stripped to bare metal then repainted costing $7k. he put sparco seats and steering wheel. A sound system that I'll probably rip out and bumpers removed. he said he's put about $20k into the car including the car itself.

I talked him down to $9k so far.

I want to do some suspension and brake work. also get rid of those wheels.

some pics

post-2304-1366757098867_thumb.jpg

post-2304-13667570990491_thumb.jpg

post-2304-1366757099191_thumb.jpg

post-2304-13667570992894_thumb.jpg

post-2304-13667570994336_thumb.jpg

Stripped the car and paid 7k for a paint job and rattle canned the engine bay black.

Unless he has reciepts for the work done and a dyno sheet for that motor I'd say about 4k tops without the documentation judging by the pics.

yeah. I thought the same unless he did the motor 1st. still would have pulled it to paint.

i know he's got a dyno sheet for sure and pics of the body work from the beginning.

Stripped the car and paid 7k for a paint job and rattle canned the engine bay black.

Unless he has reciepts for the work done and a dyno sheet for that motor I'd say about 4k tops without the documentation judging by the pics.

It's subjective... That car does not interest me, but may do the trick for you, however $9K is too high. It's modified too much to have a broad appeal. I think he needs you more than you need him.

Think about your use of the car? Does it suit your taste? Wheels, color, interior, comfort, etc. For $9k I'd be sure it was exactly what you wanted so you don't have to spend more to change those items. I think the price is a bit high compared to other cars I've seen.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If you like a highly modified car that resembles an 02 then proceed. But for the money I think you could find a real 02 and still save some!

Ben

'74 tii - malaga

I wouldn't call the car "highly modified" by any stretch. It looks like a stock car to me, with the trim & bumpers removed, a couple of aftermarket seats and some hideous wheels installed. It's just my opinion, but without really seeing it, I'm thinking maybe 5K.

Guest Anonymous

I dunno - when it takes ALOT of work to get it back to stock - I call it highly modified.

OK, I guess it's a matter of degree. I'd call Harv's car highly modified. Nick's M20 car is pretty modified. Either way, $9K is Crazy.

Ehh with that interior and those wheels I'd offer 6k and take the other money and put something nice on.

without seeing the car and driving it, it is all speculations. Every car has a buyer and a price, but mostly depends on the market. I may be stating the obvious, but it is all a matter of how much you like this particular car, what else is available and for what price in your area (or a place you may be willing to travel), and how long you are willing to wait for the right car/deal.

If this car throws you in the back seat when you step on the gas, and you have problems hanging on to the steering wheel, and every car you've seen feels like a dog by comparison, then I would consider it. What about handling, does it take the turns nicely like it was on rails? Does the body/steering/suspension feels tight? Does the paint looks nice from 6 ft? Does it sound nice? does it lag at lower rpm's? does it feel stable at 100mph? Does it have a working limited slip differential, coilovers, 5sp, bigger sways, bigger front brakes? Does it idle smoothly? what kind of upgrades were done on the engine rebuild? Is the paint job guaranteed, for how long and is it transferable? Compression numbers now? does it shift nicely? What else have you seen for $12K or less? (we are assuming we can talk those down too). What type of exhaust does it have (my own pet peeve)? Does it feel easy to drive? How soft/hard does it ride?

Bottom line: check out many 02's before you spend that kind of money, the car may be entirely worth it, but you need to have a frame of reference. I would say though, and it is entirely my opinion by just looking at the car, that it is a buyer's market on this one.

Lastly, go to a used car dealer and test a E36 240hp 3000 lb M3, it should feel pretty close to 150 hp 02 2000 lb. Just for kicks....

that is the best detailed reply i've ever seen! thanks

I actually went to see a tii today. i was an hour 30 in traffic but I had to see one and drive it up close. this white car is 5 hours away so it's going to be either really cool or really a disappointment. the seller is a doctor who has 6 other cars including a Z8 so I don't see him not spending money on the car. He just has strange tastes. those wheels were actually on that car when he bought them.

the one i drove died a lot while driving but was all stock. It handled well though and the price was very good but I think i'll pass.

thanks again.

btw we have a e36 m3 but it's auto. pretty fun car but I wanna go simple w old school.

without seeing the car and driving it, it is all speculations. Every car has a buyer and a price, but mostly depends on the market. I may be stating the obvious, but it is all a matter of how much you like this particular car, what else is available and for what price in your area (or a place you may be willing to travel), and how long you are willing to wait for the right car/deal.

If this car throws you in the back seat when you step on the gas, and you have problems hanging on to the steering wheel, and every car you've seen feels like a dog by comparison, then I would consider it. What about handling, does it take the turns nicely like it was on rails? Does the body/steering/suspension feels tight? Does the paint looks nice from 6 ft? Does it sound nice? does it lag at lower rpm's? does it feel stable at 100mph? Does it have a working limited slip differential, coilovers, 5sp, bigger sways, bigger front brakes? Does it idle smoothly? what kind of upgrades were done on the engine rebuild? Is the paint job guaranteed, for how long and is it transferable? Compression numbers now? does it shift nicely? What else have you seen for $12K or less? (we are assuming we can talk those down too). What type of exhaust does it have (my own pet peeve)? Does it feel easy to drive? How soft/hard does it ride?

Bottom line: check out many 02's before you spend that kind of money, the car may be entirely worth it, but you need to have a frame of reference. I would say though, and it is entirely my opinion by just looking at the car, that it is a buyer's market on this one.

Lastly, go to a used car dealer and test a E36 240hp 3000 lb M3, it should feel pretty close to 150 hp 02 2000 lb. Just for kicks....

if you have to drive 5 hours north, stop by (Hollister) before you see the car, I can show you 2 tii's (not for sale) for comparison purposes. You mentioned an important word: FUN. I own a E36 M3 and just to put it into perspective, I drive my tii's for fun. Email me if you have more questions.

That car Is nice but not that nice. 9k is aa huge price tag, for 12-13 you could get an m2

Dubois Im going to hollister this weekend goin 4 wheelin

That car Is nice but not that nice. 9k is aa huge price tag, for 12-13 you could get an m2

Dubois Im going to hollister this weekend goin 4 wheelin

thanks for the advice guys...

Blake,

do you know this owner?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170047138126&rd=1&rd=1

looks like a decent deal w the m3 motor but needs paint.

thanks