Jack

Hmmm, Puzzled...still

5 posts / 706 viewsLast Reply

Got my hood adjusted just right, and the closure rod cable set just right (not). Now when I try to open the hood the handle releases but there is no resistance on the cable, so it must have slipped. How do I get the rod to release...other than grabbing the rod with a pair of channel locks and tearing up my nice freshly painted rod.

It seems like there's no tension on the rod. Did you set the center spring properly? It's located in the middle of the body right above the fan motor.

With the handle full forward in the cockpit try a sharp rap with the flat of your hand on the trailing edge of the hood, in the center where the hood latch is. This might cause it to release.

Bob Napier

Got my hood adjusted just right, and the closure rod cable set just right (not). Now when I try to open the hood the handle releases but there is no resistance on the cable, so it must have slipped. How do I get the rod to release...other than grabbing the rod with a pair of channel locks and tearing up my nice freshly painted rod.

wrap it with an sliced-open piece of old radiator hose first.... ;)

HEY JACK!!!

The BMW chanel locks are really thin - think they only came with newer E21's and E30's but not the 2002. They would be thin enough to fit and not ruin the nice Golf paint. Also because you used POR-15 Metal Master paint on the rod I'd suggest that you stick some hose on the end of the pliers so you don't hack up anything. Hope that helps.....