• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 new pictures

JayG

Put most of it back together. It's in the backyard today so it can cure. Here are a few pictures until it is completely finished.

For those that don't know, it was painted in my garage last weekend.

post-1783-13667570949346_thumb.jpg

post-1783-13667570950569_thumb.jpg

post-1783-13667570951753_thumb.jpg

'91 Mitsu Galant VR-4 #1439/2000 + '76 2002 Laguna Seca Blue-ish 4 speed. Hip to be square.

2002galantsigdi7.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you going to keep those headlights yellow now that the car is blue?

If you think it looks bad with the blue, you probably thought it looked horrible with the green. Vice versa, with if you liked it with the green. Same contrast, I like it, so yeah they stay.

'91 Mitsu Galant VR-4 #1439/2000 + '76 2002 Laguna Seca Blue-ish 4 speed. Hip to be square.

2002galantsigdi7.jpg

I'd like to know more details, too. Mainly what kind of gun, and what kind of paint you used. I'm interested in doing the same thing eventually, so I'll take any advice I can get from anyone who's painted a car in their garage!

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

Grant - what color are you going to paint it? you should turbo it!!

I'm probably going to keep it white. The interior though, that's a whole different story. The light blue HAS to go. :)

For now I think I'll just stick with getting it running and stopping. Once that's done, we'll think about the whole "turbo" idea. If I hadn't owned that Buick Grand National (boy, there's a car that doesn't handle well), I probably wouldn't even be considering it... :)

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

I'd like to know more details, too. Mainly what kind of gun, and what kind of paint you used. I'm interested in doing the same thing eventually, so I'll take any advice I can get from anyone who's painted a car in their garage![/quote

grant...i painted my 76, and after finishing it and almost having all the exterior pieces back on decided to 2-tone her...for me, the hardest part was the prep...it's where most of the work's involved....

esty766.jpg

if your current paint's good and you only have the factory paint job and no others, you can successfully paint over the factory paint to save a bunch of work

if it's been repainted once or more, you'll want to strip it because the paint's getting to thick..thick causes it to crack, split and it's a devil to touch up...

google a web vendor, SmartShopper...their paints are a great bang for your buck....i did the entire car red, using bc/cc but sprayed the white in acrylic urethane over the red after sanding it with 600 grit to create a mechanical bond between the old and new paints...

you'll have to have a somewhat large compressor and can get a gun at harbor freight for under $40...regardless of what the guys that wear designer underwear might say, you do not need to spend a fortune on designer label products to get a good, lasting job....those 2 factors will be determined by how you prep the car before pulling the trigger on the paint gun

i'll help you as much as i can if you have more questions, email me...i don't bite

google a web vendor, SmartShopper...their paints are a great bang for your buck....i did the entire car red, using bc/cc but sprayed the white in acrylic urethane over the red after sanding it with 600 grit to create a mechanical bond between the old and new paints...

you'll have to have a somewhat large compressor and can get a gun at harbor freight for under $40...regardless of what the guys that wear designer underwear might say, you do not need to spend a fortune on designer label products to get a good, lasting job....those 2 factors will be determined by how you prep the car before pulling the trigger on the paint gun

I do not mean to be antagonistic here, but let's just see how your car looks in 2, 3, and 5 years. I would be willing to bet it shows signs of paint degradation very quickly. The big time paint suppliers don't spend millions of dollars coming up with new formulations, just so they can charge more. I know you hate anything and everything with a solid reputation, and price is king with you, but come on, you can't compare some no name brand paint, sprayed with a Chinese made HF gun, sprayed by an amateur, to an ICI, Standox, Glasurit, PPG etc, sprayed by a pro, with a quality gun. I'm always glad to save a buck, and I may use a no name paint system to paint a race car, but not if I wanted the car to last any length of time, sorry.

If you really, truly believe you can compare the 2, then you've insulted every professional body/paint man around. Somehow I doubt that Dubois or Matt McGinn buy their paint guns at HF, or their paint on Ebay.

Sorry about the threadjack. Jay, car looks cool. I really like the yellow lights on the blue. Stick a fat Inka race stripe down the middle, and you've got yourself a little Gulf 02. Also, what did you use for the yellow lights? I'd like to do the highbeams on my Euro E21.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

I do not mean to be antagonistic here, but let's just see how your car looks in 2, 3, and 5 years. I would be willing to bet it shows signs of paint degradation very quickly. The big time paint suppliers don't spend millions of dollars coming up with new formulations, just so they can charge more. I know you hate anything and everything with a solid reputation, and price is king with you, but come on, you can't compare some no name brand paint, sprayed with a Chinese made HF gun, sprayed by an amateur, to an ICI, Standox, Glasurit, PPG etc, sprayed by a pro, with a quality gun. I'm always glad to save a buck, and I may use a no name paint system to paint a race car, but not if I wanted the car to last any length of time, sorry.

Al

yo...big al...don't think i rushed out and bought a gal of paint because it was cheap...i put a lot of time and research into paints and the manufacturers before buying....

as you may not be aware, most naysayers aren't, the kirker brand sold by smartshoppers has been in business longer than any other autopaint manufacturers in the states

i also did, in fact speak to several pro's that used the product on their own cars...as long ago as 5 years and it still looks good...as far as guns and other equipment...i agree, if i was in the trade and did it everyday, i'd spend more and get a gun that would last...i'm not, the gun served it's purpose, i spent $29.00 and tossed it in the trash after i painted the car...

so...sell carpet, fix engines but don't screw up peoples minds by blasting something you know nothing about other than it ain't designer label crap

larson, let me tell you a small secret, if you were to sell out, i have enough money i could buy you and not even miss the little bit of change i'd spend doing so ...i don't buy stuff cause it's cheap...i buy it cause it makes more sense and is

smart...go toss a $hundy$ in the salvation army basket or spend a weekend working in a homeless shelter and then come back here and gloat designer labels

you pompous, deadbeat piece of crap