M2002Evo

BMW 2002tii rear disc brake conversion

16 posts / 11011 viewsLast Reply

Hi, Richard Stern from the BMW 2002 register recommended i post my enquiry to this forum.

Im currently undertaking a completed ground up restoration of my inka 1974 2002tii. In the restoration im fitting a fully rebuilt s14 2.5 Evo 3 engine with a Motec management system complete with Getrag 256 gearbox. With this in mind I need to upgrade the brakes, the front are taken care of but the rear brakes need to be converted to disc. Now, I've already bought a pair of E30 325i rear discs (four stud) that fit perfectly over the 2002 hubs with no turning/machining required. I've also bought new VW Mark 3 rear calipers with the e-brake. My problems starts when I fabricated the mount barcket for the calipers, it seems to sit 0.5" inside the disc hat. I can still mount the calipers onto the bracket but the VW caliper bracket fits the outer face of the fabricated bracket and the tolerence of the mounting hole on the fabricated bracket is to close to the edge. Can anyone offer some help.

I need to know if anyone else has used the same components and got things to work.

kind regards

D

Not sure if you know it or not....but, Ireland Engineering sells a kit that uses Corvette C5 rear disks/hubs/calipers for the 2002. The calipers are aluminum and save a tremendous amount of weight...you should look into this...it's a bolt and go installation which I will be installing on my Tii track car this winter...

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. Im aware of the Ireland Eng conversion kit but with the cost of importing it all to the UK it worked out cheaper to make a conversion kit out of e30 rear discs and VW calipers. My only difficulty is fabricating a suitable bracket to mount the calipers onto.

Regards

D

That bracket (or any system that interfaces a caliper to the subframe) is 90% of the work.

Hello, I'm new here, but I'm facing the same problem.

The E30 rear discs are not usable because the height is 60 mm and you only have place for 52mm.

The bracket for the calipers is normaly made from 15mm alu.

That's what I know until now. Tommorow I'm gonna try some discs from an VW Golf 2 they say it would fit.

Guys, short of installing e21 trailing arms (and their associated width discripencies) there is no easy solution for a decent rear disc set-up. I myself made a VW set-up on my car in only a few hours. It was easy, and it was a lousy set-up with the calipers located horizontally, requiring removal each time I had to bleed. Believe me, it is not mince meat. I currently have a bare 2002 trailing arm on my workbench to do some mocking-up. and I scratch my head more than I actually smile. That rear shock is in the way. And because the trailing arms are built for a drum brake, I cannot reuse the system for ebrake on a disc brake system. Still looking for the perfect set-up.

But what discs did you use on your vw setup?

Front VW Rabbit.

BTW DivyeshM2002Evo, I am curious at how the e30 disc is centered on the hub. Not from the bolts I hope. The rotor needs centering either from the front hub portion, or from the overall diameter. Anything else will be out of balance and even dangerous.

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

can you still use the stock master cylinder with the rear disc or do have to change it out for something made for 4 wheel disc ?

can you still use the stock master cylinder with the rear disc or do have to change it out for something made for 4 wheel disc ?

Same MC.

Guest Anonymous

If you use the correct VW caliper you can bleed the caliper without removing it. There are many ways the do any job we just try to chose the ones that make the most sense functionally and economically. By the first of the year we'll have a brake kit that uses a vented rotor and has a parking brake.

Jeff

Hi Lee,

As I explained to Dany, the hat size on the E30 rear discs that im using may be too big which would explain the problems im having. As for the balance, the 2002 hub sits inside the hat of the e30 disc and is centred by the hub portion and the four wheel studs.

Interesting question though...mmmm

D

Guest Anonymous

jeff what the cost of your 2002 rear disc brake system.