albawhore

Z3 shifter upgrade

9 posts / 2573 viewsLast Reply

I read some chatter on the board about a Z3 shifter upgrade, anyone have details/parts list/instructions.

Not to hijack this thread, but for those have done it what do you use for a shifter boot and knob combo? If my understanding is correct the Z3 shifter has a slot in the top of it, whereas the stock shifter I believe is threaded. Any suggestions?

esty has what i believe to be a 3.0 z4 shifter in her newly aquired car. ive ran the z3 shifter and in my opinion its not worth the time.(compared to a stock e30 lever) theres just not that much difference unless you cut it ala ron stygars site. the 2.5 and the 3.0 z4 levers are more noticable and i think thats what ill be using on my car. you just use any late model bmw knob instead of the threaded type. the boot should be interchangable

esty, can you see if the PO knows for sure what lever is in that car??

esty has what i believe to be a 3.0 z4 shifter in her newly aquired car. ive ran the z3 shifter and in my opinion its not worth the time.(compared to a stock e30 lever) theres just not that much difference unless you cut it ala ron stygars site. the 2.5 and the 3.0 z4 levers are more noticable and i think thats what ill be using on my car. you just use any late model bmw knob instead of the threaded type. the boot should be interchangable

esty, can you see if the PO knows for sure what lever is in that car??

complete list of parts

Thanks Esty.

Blunt the part # comes up as an E85 Z4 3.0 shift lever. All of the other parts are either used on almost every car or 320's, actually a lot are '02 parts.

the z3 shifter only done on e30 transmissions?

I have a cut z3 shifter in my M3, I LOVE it

I read some chatter on the board about a Z3 shifter upgrade, anyone have details/parts list/instructions.

Look at the exploded views of the shifter on realoem dot com. You can interchange many of the uppers and lower sections. If you want a threaded upper then just use one - it's a little counter productive because it will be longer and negate the short shift effect - but I used a combo frankenstein-esque shifter when I did my 5-spd upgrade and it worked out really well. Anything more and it would be difficult at times as a DD.

i have a somewhat off topic question...i just got a E46 M3 shifter...will it work in my e30 ?