munchytii

Broken Starter, is there an upgraded version ??

19 posts / 2399 viewsLast Reply

Good thing I was home when my 02 decided not to turnover. The old starter has served me well for 15yrs, I can't complain. With all the 02 upgrades out there, do we have one for a better, stronger starter???

Yes there absolutely is. The best starter for the money is the one off of a 80-83 320i. Its smaller, lighter and cranks the car with authoritah. The m3 starter is basically the same unit but costs way more (last time I checked). I have been running the 320i setup for about three years now with no problems.

Guest Anonymous

Bosch has decided to dropp the 02 starter from its line up. This is a good thing as they are selling the M3 starter for the 02 price. another advantage is these are new units and not rebuilt, you do have to order the highline bosch units to get the M3 one. The m3 unit is more powerfull so it helps with starting. The past few we have gotten at the shop have been the M3 units in the 2002 box.

Sam

Yes there absolutely is. The best starter for the money is the one off of a 80-83 320i. Its smaller, lighter and cranks the car with authoritah. The m3 starter is basically the same unit but costs way more (last time I checked). I have been running the 320i setup for about three years now with no problems.

The e30 m3 and the e21 starter are not the same. The e21 starter(320I)is basically the same unit as the '02. The e30 m3 starter is a gear reduction type and is quiet a bit smaller and lighter by 8 lbs. And yes, the e30 m3 starter will crank the motor like there's no tomorrow!

Cris

Guest Anonymous

I second CJs statement. Specifically, the M3 starter is a PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduced) unit like almost all newer starters. I requires less amperage, has more poser, and lasts longer than th eolder electromagnet type of starters. the only danger is with kick back from a high horsepower engine like the big block Chevys, Dodges and Fords which breaks some of the internal gear reduction parts.

.. you do have to order the highline bosch units to get the M3 one.

Sam

Where do you get a "highline" bosch starter? Could you get this at your local autozone/pepboys?

I'd just specify an e30 m3 starter used on 87-91 m3's. I just bought one for my m3. It was 175 bucks. The original one lasted 19 years!

Cris

I partly disagree.

320_2002.JPG

88e30.JPG

The first picture is of the original starter out of my 1980 320i which is now installed in my 1974 2002, and of the 2002's previous starter. My father was the original owner of the 320i (all of its repair records are in my possession).

The second picture is of the m3 starter (listed as bosch (oem) for the 88 e30 m3). Outwardly it is very similar (identical?) to the 320i starter in pic #1.

I would say, then, that although they are not exactly the same (some minor design and power differences seem to exist), I would (and did) go so far as to say the later 320i (e21) and m3 (e30) starters are basically the same.

Last time I checked (a couple of years ago) the e21 320i starter was cheap at about $150usd while the m3 starter was around $300usd+. If I'm missing somthing here please alert me; I haven't looked this stuff up in a while....

Look for a production date on the aluminum casting of the e21 starter that came out of your dads car. It's two numbers encircled by 12 dots in a round configration. It will also have an arrow pointed at one of the dots. I'd be interested to know.

Looking at the pic, the small starter looks to be off an m20. The distance between the bolt holes look to be less than the "02 starter next to it.

Cris

$134.78 - a remanufactured one with a $55 core charge. Suppose to get it tomorrow from Taylor Automotive. Free shipping too.

If you are looking for a used M3 starter, try s14.net I picked a used one up for 100$ shipped to the door.

Great upgrade by the way. i fried my old starter when I was doing my megasquirt install. That M3 one really does the job, and it's so much easier putting it in.