Simon

320 LSD install options

11 posts / 1820 viewsLast Reply

I've got a LSD coming and I am weighing the options on how to install on my 2002. My understanding is that there are two options. 1.) redrill the flanges for 8mm and get spacers to cope with the narrow 320 diff, or 2.) change to a pair of 320 CV joints, thus eliminating the need to redrill or add spacers.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is a better option?

Thanks,

Simon

It's actually

320 inner joints and shafts,

and 2002 outer joints. I think. Check me on which shafts to ues...

I've done both, and the spacer and drilled flange option is easiest.

But not by much.

t

I dunno how many times i've posted this but in my opinion it is the way to go. You can use the output shafts from a 76 diff with minor modifications. They are wider than the 320 units and with the addition of a small grove (cost my 10 bucks to have it done) will pop right into the lsd. This means you only need the output shafts and you can reuse everything else on that is on the 2002.

post-147-13667570889731_thumb.jpg

Guys, thanks for the input.

Clearly I had not looked into the 320CV joint option to its fullest and I don't know enough to understand the complexity of "the 320i half-shaft is used, but the outboard side CV joint is removed, and replaced with the old 2002 CV joint." as recommended by bimmers.com. Is this complicated?

I think that I will likely go the route of the redrilled flange and spacer, both of which, are available at Ireland Eng. Pete, although your option is intriguing, I have little faith that the '76 320 flanges could be found without a long delay.

Simon

Sorry, I should have said "02 compatible flanges" (those with 8mm bolt holes) from an early E21 diff will pop right in the later style, narrow diff (which would come with the 10mm bolt holes... don't know when the cutover was). Then, you just need a set of longer bolts and the spacers, and you are good to go with the 02 half shafts. If a pair of the early E21 flanges are available to you, that is a much easier way to go than swapping CV joints on the half shafts. When I say "easy," I mean time-wise. Might not be less expensive, if you happen to have a set of E21 half shafts as CV donors.

Mucking around with CV joints is a dirty, PITA job. This approach would only be worth it if you happened to have the E21 CV joints in hand, and no funding for the alternate (flange/spacer/bolts) approach.

Hi all, Sorry to post so late. I'm doing the diff swap right now, and I'd like to go the CV Joint way as I don't like having 12 holes in my output flanges. My question is, has anyone found the splines on the CV shafts to be different sizes? There is about an .008 inch difference in diameter between my '02 and 320 shafts, and I can't get the CVs on. I was going to swap the internal parts on the CVs, but the thickness is different as well. I was going to heat the CV, and freeze the shaft to make it work. Did anyone else have this issue, and if so what did you do to fix it? Also, do I need to use the spacers if I get the CVs to work? Thanks and regards, '02 stuck in the garage