Sign in to follow this  
H_Krix

Steering Box Refurb

6 posts / 1485 viewsLast Reply

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my whole front end, and I've gotten to the steering box.

I pulled the side plate off (the one with the 4 metal gaskets) as well as took the top part loose and drained the fluid in it. I'm not terribly familiar with steering box fluid, but this stuff looked pretty dark and murky (kind of like creek water) so I figured it couldn't be a bad idea to replace it.

The questions I have are thus:

- How does the adjustment screw function, and how can I tell if my box has any life left in it?

- What kind of oil should I refill the box with?

- If those thin metal gaskets are rusted, should I source replacements or clean them?

- What kind of gasket, if any, goes on the top plate? I didnt see one when I removed this piece.

Thanks for the help, guys.

The oil is Hypoid 90, the top cover gasket is 32112670107, the metal gaskets are actually shims from what I have been told and make all of the difference in the world. The number of threads above the adjuster nut tells you how much is left, and if the thing is smooth with no binding from lock to lock an adjustment is all you need. The wisdom of the forum advised me to not try and rebuild. Change the gaskets and the seals fill with oil and adjust. If you still have a bad one Ireland has rebuilt for +/- 400$ and I saw a genuine ZF rebuild for 1100$ on one of the linked sights (can't remember which though).

Good Luck

One of your car's previous owners has been messin' with your unit!

'cause the top is supposed to have a gasket under it. (dealer part)

The 'metal gaskets' under the side cover are NOT gaskets, they are shims and each are a different thickness. Clean 'em, and if you're lucky, you can re use them. FWIW, they are NLA.

Refull with 80/90 Hypoid gear oil.

You may have "life in your box" if the brass bushings in the top and case are undamaged. The real killer is if your worm gear and roller(on the main shaft) have pits in them(both NLA). Finally, if the worm gear shaft is corroded, simply replacing the seal will not stop any leaking. Throw it away and source a replacement worm gear.

Didn't somebody post a few weeks ago that Germany still has a few new ones on the shelf and they can be yours for just ~$3600.

mac.

heres the seals and gaskets you need. any dealer can source them or i can get them for you 38.80 shipped to you

32-11-2-670-107- 4.80

32-11-2-670-110-19.30

32-11-1-110-269-16.90

those are list prices at my dealer

AND YOU CAN SHIP YER STUFF TO ZF AMERICA for rebuild also,

I think Bill Williams has used their services,

you search .........

Well, the nice thing is the box never leaked a drop. From what I can tell, everything is still in pretty clean order, and there are a ton of threads showing on the adjustment screw above the top cover.

To be honest, i thought it was the other way around - that the further out the screw was, the less adjustment you had. Thats just pessimism talking, but good to know I have a decent box to work with.

Strange that there's no top gasket... Blunt, i'll send you an email in a little bit about those new ones - thanks for the offer! and $3,600 for a new steering box? HA! Thats almost as much as a full engine rebuild....