jgerry2002

tii older throttle body vs the redesigned version

7 posts / 955 viewsLast Reply

Is there any downside to running the earlier design tii throttle body on a '74?

I know that the throttle body was redesigned to make the CO adjustment less sensitive.

With the three throttle bodies I had, the one early style was the cleanest/had the least wear so I installed it.

Comments?

According to Dave Redzus of P.A.R. the pump had a different curve to match the different throttle body- I have a later on and I'm thinking of trying it just for the hell of it.

The problem I see with that (but I'm not a tii expert by any stretch) is that it "appears" that it its only an adjustment thing, rather than a something that the injection system is "curved to match".

Interesting though. I may have to clean up one of my other spares around.

You should be just fine. Tuning will be tougher though because of the sensitivity.

It's better and easier to take a '73 body and use on an early '72 versus the other way around.

Hmm, so that is what I first thought would be the case.

I figured it would just be more difficult to tune the car with the older design.

as you note, tuning is harder with the older style. We should post pics of the two different styles so folks can tell. If you have a camera, can you do that?

I was used to the newer style throttle body and when I went to tune the 72tii touring, I had a fit of time getting it to idle. It is still not like I want it. I am contemplating switching out the throttle body to a latter style.

Best!

Good to hear I can use either style.

I can post a picture in another week or so when I am back upstate working on my tii.

I did order another throttle body gasket so I can at least give myself the option of swaping out the throttle body if tuning proves difficult.