Craig74tii

I feel kind of stupid asking this question re: gas smell....

10 posts / 974 viewsLast Reply

since I've torn apart an '02 and a tii. I have a strong gas smell in the cabin of the car. Not the engine or the trunk or under the back of the car. The smell seems to be worse on hard acceleration (all the time). Smell also seems to be more in the back seat. Originally I thought gas tank, but the smell is the same, full or empty.

I replaced the lines going to and from the evap canister. The other rubber lines were changed 2 years ago. The only thing I can think of is the plastic fuel return lines. I didn't think these could really go bad. Maybe it rubbed on something?

I know I need to tear things apart and find where it's coming from, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had the same problem.

Guest Anonymous

I have a 73 tii and the fuel pump is ahead of the gas tank, on the under-carriage, below the back seat. Might be a connector leaking. Possibly an easy fix. Good luck.

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, Canada

the plastic fuel return line can have a pretty good kink in it where it bends up from the floor boards, around the seat belt, over the wheel well under the back seat.

as the line gets old, it can crack at that kink- specially if you live where its cold. (which I guess you don't-but maybe your car did before??)

id take the back seat out and check where it kinks-- and you can always replace the whole line jsut to be safe- they sell that stuff at most hardware stores.

I guess the fumes can travel. I looked at the plastic lines when I changed the rubber lines and didn't see anything wrong (which is why I was there a few months ago).

I think I'd have to buy the BMW plastic lines because I know the rubber fuel lines are specific to fuel because it can eat it up rubber.

I solved the gas smell in the cockpit of my ' 75 by replacing the rubber seal under the pick-up on top of the tank. An inexpensive place to start.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

So....

If I have a gas smell in the trunk, and no leakage, are you saying that the seal around the outtake, could be the problem? It looks very good, and clean.

I have inspected the canister lines etc, and all seems to be well. I've looked for the source of the smell for years!

Who sells that seal?

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, Canada

73 Inca Tii

You can get one from all the usual sources; i.e., LaJolla Independent, 2002 Haus, BMP, etc. Click on "Links" @ the top of the page and then on Parts Venders.

Bob Napier

You didn't say if your gas tank got bumped from the underside. Check for

dents underneath. A dent in the right place pushes the sender upward. The metal tabs that lock the sender in place fail to compress the O-ring that seals the sender in the tank. When the car is on an incline, gas leaks over the top.

Difficult finding a leak because it happens intermittantly!

In the morning I can get in the car and it smells after sitting all night. Some days it smells, some not.

Guess it's time to tear it apart.

Craig74tii