Sign in to follow this  
PSloan

Am I asking too much for my car?? It's not moving very fast.

14 posts / 1760 viewsLast Reply

i don't know your local market in texas, but here in the SF Bay Area, with what appears to be an honest representation of it, i speculate this is a $3500 car tops and probably would sit around at that price. it would probably move quicker at $2500. i know, it doesn't seem fair, but you acknowledge that paint is poor and no mention of whether new rubber has been installed. and there's alot of these to choose from.

btw, whatever became of that 02ti you mentioned awhile back?

Same photos too? If so, they don't paint a very impressive portrait of your car. They look sort of offhand, which makes the viewer wonder if you take the same uncareful approach to the car. I'm not saying you do, but that's the impression the pictures carry.

Also, in the weird world of marketing, there's something called "transference value," which is the idea that objects for sale placed in proximity to objects (that are not for sale) that hold certain values in peoples' minds get that value transferred to them. I'm referring to the location of your photos.

That's not too clear, so here's an example: stores/brands such as, say, Polo will hang antique-looking rugby shoes and other equipment adjacent to the shirts they sell in store windows. The intention is that shoppers will already have a preconditioned set of values associated with the antiques (traditionalism, nostalgia) and those values are transferred in their minds to the shirts. The shirts aquire, for the shopper, social and cultural meaning (status, old money, etc) that they wouldn't have in a blank setting.

That's why people selling cars often park them in front of some other backdrop than their own house to photograph it -- in front of someone else's fancy house, out in a park, in front of an industrial complex, etc. The industrial building can transfer an 'edginess' to the car, the park can convey a pastoral image, the fancy house a sense of status...

This may come off to many folks as a bunch of BS that seems dishonest and not in character with how they perceive themselves. However, 1) the marketplace out there has developed certain expectations about how things are sold to them and, 2) potential buyers out there don't care about how you perceive yourself.

Short version: you need to take better pictures that are focused on the car.

You could always try ebay if worse comes to worse. Let the bidder decide...

Also, i second the better photos idea. Take it to a nice spot and you'll get some rippas!

Tom

The 2002ti thing fizzled out. the dude never called me back or returned my calls. As for my car, It's one of the most rust free cars I've ever seen in the area. The paint is presentable. I'll polish her up and take some better photos and throw it on ebay for 3k.

I think $5000.00 is way too much! I paid $5000.00 for my 75 w/ new paint, less than 500 miles on reman. motor, all new rubber, 5 speed, brand new leather recaros, leather rear seat , new door panels, new headliner, all new suspension bushings, tii exh. mainfold, 38/38 etc. sounds to me like a $2500-$3000 car. just my opinion.

Guest Anonymous

The market makes the values alot different. I come from a place where I've seen less than 10 2002s on the road in like 4 years......

Not to mention, all the cars around here are rusty. 5k was my asking price - I want at least 3k for it. Considering the market - honestly - I think its worth between 3 and 4k. I've seen the shit that sells for 2500 around here and it aint pretty.

I don't think you're asking too much at all. Asking five is basically saying you'll take four, which is fair. I'd hold out. Someone will want it...less than five grand for a classic--sounds like a bargain to me!

Benzo,

'71 verona

detail the car to within an inch of its life, find a really nice location with a backdrop that makes the car POP, make sure there's as few distracting details in the background as possible. Repost the ad with new photos, maybe with a bit lower asking price - bet you have better results.............