Guest Anonymous

One More Question, Regarding Packing Bearings

4 posts / 676 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am about to work on the front bearing on my Big Brake set up, but I have a few questions;

1) What cleaner to use? Brake cleaner ok?

2) Would Lube (grease gun type) be sufficient?

3) Or do I have to use the tub type to "pack the bearings"?

4) How far/much to tighten the retaining bolt?

Thanks, this site ROCKS!!

J.E.

Clean them until they look new, brake clean should do the trick especially for the final clean.

Use high temp wheel bearing grease. Some will respond with their favorite brands. I use Valvoline. I have used the synthetic and the regular stuff and never had a bearing fail.

Torque value - not too much. It is surprising how little you tighten the front castle nut. Others will post with more specific info, tighten until the thick washer will barely move, then tighten to the next place that the cotter pin will go through and use this as a good starting point.

If the wheel moves from top to bottom when you have it on the car and on jack stands, the bearing is still too loose. If you have a vibration in the front end when you drive the car, it may be too loose.

If the wheel moves from top to bottom when you have it on the car and on jack stands, the bearing is still too loose.

And here's where the 2nd opinions come in- I actually set mine up so that there's the smallest amount of movement that I can feel in 'em. If they don't move at all, on my car they're one cotter- flat too tight.

Your mileage WILL vary!

Toby

Just repacked mine. From memory (not reliable but usally close) the factory book says torque the nuts to 7 ftlbs while turning the hub to squeeze outt he grease and seat the bearings. Then the factory method is to use a dial indicator to achieve something like .0008 to .002 thousandths of of play at the hub. I have a dial indicator and so I set it up on the strut and measured at the wheel stud while pushing and pulling the hub. Not a bad idea to life the car up after diving a few hunderd miles and hit the tires with a rubber mallet listening for play. Seems they always "wear in" a little when I have replaced the seats. In the past I have never used the dial indicator and just backed off the nut until I could just get the washer to slide around by pushing it with a clean screwdriver.

As far as packing goes the best is to get a bearing packer. One reason is that it keeps the grease sealed and clean for future bearing work. However this time I was just repacking (didn't remove the seals) the bearings so I took a spoon and shoveled a few dollups into the big bearing- a couple of spoonfulls into the small bearing race and it squished it thru the bearings as snugged it up on the spindle. But again I was repacking so the bearings and hub were already greased. With new bearings I have always packed the hub pretty much full then added the packed bearings and seal. Pack the cap as well- however not too much or it will not go on.