ash00

hard brake lines?

12 posts / 1179 viewsLast Reply

Hey everyone,

Has anybody tried ordering replacement hard brake lines (not the flexibles that run from the body to the caliper, but the ones that run against the firewall, that connect to the master cylinder)? Are they still available through bmw dealers?

I'm having a tough time with my tube bender and trying to avoid kinking.

Real OEM shows them stupid cheap for my 1976. BTW I am in Sunnyvale as soon as I get the Malaga safe we will have to hook up.

Good Luck

Hey everyone,

Has anybody tried ordering replacement hard brake lines (not the flexibles that run from the body to the caliper, but the ones that run against the firewall, that connect to the master cylinder)? Are they still available through bmw dealers?

I'm having a tough time with my tube bender and trying to avoid kinking.

They are all available from the dealer. They are shockingly cheap. The one from the MC to the rear splitter was like $10 ($9 and change). They do not come bent from the dealer though so you're still in the same boat.

HTH,

TJW

P.S. Don't replace the brass splitter in the rear - it will come free easily. Do replace the washer that spaces the rear splitter out from the chasis. Also do order the little rubber insulators between the brake lines and the metal tabs.

BMW dealer part and cheap all in the same sentance?! Wow-- I guess I should stop by after work and find out.

Thanks for the tips-

whereabouts in sunnyvale? I have a friend right off Iowa right by downtown area. We always walk to the bars.

I am at Lawrence and 101 in Lakeshore village, but I am alcohol free and try to stay away from bars. E-mail is spaarke at yahoo dot com we can go burn some oil together someday.

So, let me understand this right... they sell lines, but theyre not bent?

Are they just selling a coiled length of tubing, or what? has anyone ordered these? I'm guessing they come in the original steel, but do they have the ends already attached?

I was going to order from http://classictube.com/ but if this is as cheap as everyone says it is, i may actually go to a dealer to buy parts...

Sometimes they come through straight, sometimes theyre coiled in a mess, all depending on length. For the longer ones, I wouldnt bother if theyre going to be shipped coiled up because you'll never get them straight again, unless you could care less what the final product looks like.

I ordered a full set a while back and the long ones have a few bends in them so they fit into a shipping tube. I had no problems getting the bends out and used hammers, sockets and even a baseball to get them bent and they came out looking great.

Casey

I just hope my bmw dealership remembers what an 02 is. A salesperson didn't one time...

A friend bought a set and now doesn't need them. These are the straight ones with fittings from BMW. One or two are missing. Email me if you want to contact my friend.