bcthomas122279

rattling noise

8 posts / 1398 viewsLast Reply

I've recently put my newly acquired 69 on the road and it's got a strange rattling noise whenever the motor is under a load. The noise is not present when idling or cruising. Where should I start?

It's not pinging. Could it be a bearing in the gearbox? It seems to be eminating from the trans tunnel. It is also not the driveshaft or center bearing.

Or maybe your tranny is getting ready to eat itself. But why would that be only under load?

hmmm.....

Put it on a lift and put it under load. May be a loose exhaust or exhaust hanger.

...EXHAUST PIPE bumping up against the trans tunnel - either the exhaust is krap?, or motor mounts and trans mounts are krap?, or the exhaust system is o.k. but mis-aligned - and missing the correct mounting hardware like the trans/down pipe support bracket ?,

"get down and get under" - and LOOK with a bright light, grab (when cold!)

the pipe and shake............ crawl to the rear and look where the exhaust loops over the rear subframe..... and the very rear near the gas tank ..... ?