Noel

Used Korman Stage 2 -- What's it Worth?

8 posts / 1972 viewsLast Reply

I've been in contact with a guy selling a once fast '02. It has a Korman Stage 2 engine with 30,000 miles on it. The ported and polished head is not longer on the engine, as it cracked and a couple of the rockers also broke. The Shrick cam is still on the old head and will come with the car. So now, it's running a stock head with single Weber downdraft. The car is in pretty bad shape, judging by the pictures, and has been hit in the front. The front end looks fixable and the owner claims little rust. The good news is that it has a 5 sp conversion. So, any Korman guys want to venture a guess and give me an opinion of the value of this thing? If I get a new Korman head and rockers, will I have a good motor, or one that will need more attention? I'm intending on using it for street use, not racing. Is it too hot a set-up for street use, if I get it back into shape? What's the tranny conversion worth? Anyone know this car? It's in Stockton, CA.

Thanks,

Noel

i talked to him briefly- I wanted to know why the korman head cracked-- and how the car got so smashed up. seems like it was treated pretty badly! must have been racing a lot- i was worried there is more damage as one dug deeper.

Nobody buys a 'stage 2' engine to go to the supermarket, it will have been raced and rallied.

If it has done 30,000 it is buggered if it has/had a cracked head it is buggered and fucked,

ask him to pay you to take it away.

I agree with the above comments. Stay away from it. The new Korman head is going to cost you more than what your going to pay for the car. Get the transmission, (but only if it is a close ratio 5 speed, not if it's an overdrive) and leave the junk. By the way, when a seller tells you "little rust", he really is saying "little visible rust". It is the unvisible (hidden) rust that's going to kill you down the road.

I tried to get a look at that car and the guy gave me the run around for almost a month. He sent me all of this information about the motor that I thought was pretty impressive until I found the exact same pages on the Korman web site (the HP curve seems to be a direct download). The thing that bothered me the most was the narrative that he sent with the e-mail that dated the majority of the work as years ago, and the fact that the car has Alaska plates on it but "has always been a California car" (registration nightmare). I finally gave up on the guy because he was hemming and hawing about me doing a compression test and a bore scope before I relieved him of it. My opinion RUN LIKE HELL and don't look back.

Thanks to all for the sound advice. I should have thought a little more about the inconsistencies you point out, but all too often I get carried away with my glass-half-full outlook on things. I'm running as fast as these old legs will carry me...Thanks again for saving me from myself. Noel

Korman ZIP - the parts are scrap metal now -

cars value ?

if it's registered and DRIVeABLE - to 80mph, and it stops, and steers

straight? - maybe $ 300

if none of the above driving conditions possible - $150

So, lemme see if I got this right. I'm not quite sure I understand, but what all you guys seem to be saying is "DUMB F$%[email protected]#N IDEA!!!!". Thanks for the intervention.

Noel