Sign in to follow this  
mleach

Adjustable linakage on Clutch Master Cylinder

7 posts / 690 viewsLast Reply

Is is possible to damage the clutch master cylinder by having the threaded pedal linkage backed too far out?

I replaced my mastercylinder yesterday, bled it, but was not able to get it to disengage the clutch until I had moved the linkage out by a fair margin. Now the pedal sits further forward than the brake pedal.

Im still not driving the car, but I have thrown the clutch pedal a handful of times. Am I possibly doing any harm here?

also, why the hell do I have to remove the carpet just to service the box. PITA!

That doesn't seem right. I would troubleshoot as follows:

1) doublecheck bleeding procedure w/ shop manual and rebleed

2) wrong/defective master cylinder

3) defective/leaky slave cylinder or hydraulic line

4) clutch internals

Yes, I meant the pedal position. Maybe I am wrong, but a master cylinder is not a "wear item," so I don't see that replacing one should warrant a significant change in pedal position. I thought the purpose for the clutch pedal adjustment was to accomodate clutch plate wear, not to tune-in a new master cylinder.

Well, to be honest, I dont recall if I installed it in the same position. I will try your procedure above. Thanks for the help.

After returning the MC linkage to the "normal" position, it appears that it engages properly. Several drives confirm. Thanks.

After returning the MC linkage to the "normal" position, it appears that it engages properly. Several drives confirm. Thanks.