TurkisTii

Rear Spring Shipping Spacers?

6 posts / 1662 viewsLast Reply

Hello all,

This is only my second posting since Lurker Day. I usually find the answers I'm looking for using the forum search, however I got a question about these spacers I think I know the answer to but just wanted to confirm. Below is a photo of my left rear springs with two spacers circled in red. These should have been removed by the dealer 33 years ago right? Since I did not see these in the parts catalog I assume these were used for shipping purposes. Maybe that explains why the rear of my car doesn't feel well planted when I drive agressively. The right side spring also has these spacers installed.

Thanks in advance!

DSCN4353Smaller.jpg

Regards,

Duane

'73 TurkisTii

Guest bruno74tii

Anyone else?

They're typically used to help raise the rear. Basically compensate for springs that are sagging. Although I have seen that on many new cars for shipping as well.

Cris

Maybe they were used to keep the car level before the front spacers were removed. Here's a pic after I removed the front spacers. The rear sits considerable higher. I'm not sure which thinkness spring pads I have but assumed it was not the 1 dot version. I will remove those spacers and find out how much it will lower the rear.

DSCN1099_Small.jpg

REMARKABLE ! - if those were BMW transportation shipping blocks - NEVER removed IN DECADES OF DRIVING ! Stupid new car prep technicians, stupid owners, stupid service departments ???

Those do not belong there now or in the future. PLEASE REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT !!

REMARKABLE ! - if those were BMW transportation shipping blocks - NEVER removed IN DECADES OF DRIVING ! Stupid new car prep technicians, stupid owners, stupid service departments ???

Those do not belong there now or in the future. PLEASE REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT !!

Spacers have been removed! I'm not sure why it took this stupid owner 3.5 yrs to realize those should not be there. Thoses spacers are not stamped with any identification so I cannot confirm those were shipped from the factory. Btw, after removal the rear was only .25 inch lower.

Spacers.jpg