dtharp113

What's a bad wheel bearing sound like?

7 posts / 1427 viewsLast Reply

Hearing a high-pitched whine while rolling down the road. At first I thought it was wind noise (may still be....) so I made sure the windows were up and door was shut tight.

Whine peaks in volume and pitch around 2500rpm and will quiet down as the car slows. No noise at around 5mph or slower.

Thoughts? Wheelbearing ? The front end handles fine, no vibration or pulling.

Thanks

Dennis

my now departed to another owner e36 had the rear wheel bearings needing replacement, and it sounded just like what you describe, a high pitched whine that grew louder with speed and at certain rpm ranges quited down a little.

I've never had rear bearings on any of our '02's go bad, so...............

im about to replace my rear wheel bearings

im getting a noise that is relative to speed, NOT rpm

it will get loudest at around 40-50mph, anything over that and i think it's just not as noticeable because of wind/roads

it also sounds like the noise is NOT at the same frequency as the wheels themselves turning, actually maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th as often as a revolution of the wheels

yes, i should have said speed, not rpm

sounded like i had big nobbies for tires that some guys use on their high ride trucks, you know, the tires that drown out your radio as they pass you on the freeway at about 60 mph.

a noisy diff makes a whine...

but it usually changes when you change the amount of load on it (stand on the throttle, e.g.)

Also, the driveshaft center bearing can do the same thing...

hth.

t

....a bad wheel bearing noise will change in volume heard as you lightly steer right .... then left off of straight ahead - 20+ mph speeds.

As you 'lean' the car slightly off of straight line - you change the side loads on the roller/cone bearings - changing the growling noise volume. The louder tone will be heard from the side your loading/leaning against.

If you jack the front up - remove the center grease cap, remove the adjusting clamp - and remove the outer roller bearing - clean the bearing - and if brown or blue in color - over heating is seen on the rollers - or - the outer bearing race cone is blue/black - then they're TOAST. If no apparent overheating or galling is present, repack with clean disk-brake wheel bearing grease and try adjusting it, and the other wheel bearing - after you preform the same inspection. All this done without remove any brakes.

p.s. - NEVER MIX wheel bearing greasebrands and types!. Plan on a complete bearing replacement if any question exists. Very c$heep project.

p.s.s. - a lousy worn tyre tread will also cause 'abynormal' noises

did this noise start after another 'repair' ?

if your bearings aren't clean and shinny like these - REPLACE-UM

K802037953RUV.JPG

Guest Anonymous

"WhirrrrraWhirrrrrraWhirrrrrrra"