Sign in to follow this  
esty

325 related

5 posts / 919 viewsLast Reply

will a 1986 BMW 325e 5 speed transmission fit, without mods, in an 87 325ci?

Guest Anonymous

More information please. Are you replacing another 5 speed or an automatic, are ou wanting to replace a Getrag 260 with a 262, etc.

More information please. Are you replacing another 5 speed or an automatic, are ou wanting to replace a Getrag 260 with a 262, etc.

my 87ci has a 5 speed... 4th gear synchro is bad, i'm trying to find a used one to swap...and have a lead on the one i mention above...

260 or 262...i don't have a clue what those #'s mean mr Clyde

Here is what I understand about the E30 325e and 325. This is true for both cars and years you mention. The 325/e/es M20, 2.7 liter engine and the 325/i/is/ic M20, 2.5 liter engine came stock from BMW with a Getrag 260 manual transmision or a Getrag 4HP22 automatic transmision so a swap of stock units should not be a problem. If your talking about swapping a manual for automatic or vice versa thats just a matter of a conversion. While you are at it put in a 12# flywheel, it will make a big difference without effecting low end torque very much. I put one in my 88 325ic from Zionsville Autosport www.zionsvilleautosport.com. They turn a single mass flywheel and I think they only charge about $125. Or maybe you know someone who can turn one for you for free:)

John Hoffner

Yes you can swap the "E" trans into the "I" with no problems, I would go ahead and use the throw out arm and bearing out of your "I" tranny just to make sure its the right one for your clutch set up, for what its worth you can't swap the "I" into the "E" with out getting the bell housing bored to take the crank sensor