• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tube frame car

ToddK

This might be a little off topic, maybe not. I recently bought a 85 TVR 280i, and a 75 BMW 2002 at a sheriffs auction. The TVR was $275 and the BMW was $55. The TVR is is bad shape cosmetically and would cost more than it is worth to restore. Add to that, it's an 85, and I don't want to deal with emmision laws. Someone removed the stock Ford V6 and put a small block Chevy. It has an Offy intake and holley carb, and an auto trans. I would never get that thru an inspection. I did a little research and came up with the following. TVR has a 94 in wheelbase and a track of 56.5 inches. The 2002 has a wheelbase of 98.4 inches and a track of 52.4 inches. Do you see where I am going with this? They are close enough to make this work. In case you are not TVR savy, let me school you on a few things. The body is fiberglass and can be removed and sold off for a very good profit. This would leave just a tubular frame, exactly like one you would see on a high dollar SCCA GT spec car. The front suspension is Ford derived with unequal lenth wishbones and a coilover running up the middle. The rear is Jaguar independent with inboard discs and coilovers.(3.07-1 ratio) The big problem I see is the engine. It is mounted very far back. The entire engine is behind the center line of the front wheels - a true mid engined car. The drivers seat is just in front of the rear wheels. I would have to move everything forward in order to drop a skinned 2002 onto it, but I can make it work. Is it worth the trouble, or should I keep looking for a different body. I was amazed to find out that a VW beetle and a Karmin Ghia have almost the identical specs as the TVR.(94.5 and 53.3) There is a long history of paople building V8 beetle drag cars. My ultimate goal is to put together something to win next years Grassroots Motorsports 2007 Challenge. Any and all suggestions on a body would be greatly appreciated. It needs to be pre 1980, light weight, cheap, with a title.

post-542-13667570639687_thumb.jpg

Can you mount a Mustang 2 front end in the TVR chassis to move everything forward? I was just checking specs for putting the same front in my 02, and track width on them is 56.5" or 60.5", depending on the control arms.

Check out Heidt's. They make custom Mustang 2 front suspension, and even though an 02 or a TVR would undoubtably not be listed, I'm sure they can be adapted.

Currently, I'm either looking at the Mustang 2 front end, or possibly Cobra (as in Cobra kit car).

The 5.0 I picked up yesterday, upon initial measurements, should fit. My two biggest mods so far that I can see is modifying the trans tunnel, and moving (or removing) the radiator support for more front end clearance. I'm putting tilton pedals in, so basically in the front is motor and rad, that'll be it.

1970 2002 O=00=O

The beauty of a tube frame chassis is that anything can be adapted to fit. A little cutting and welding, add a tube here, change a tube there. The big problem with an 02 front end seems to be the steering. Steering boxes make things tough. I have 5 or so TR7 steering racks from parted out cars. They would work great on the mustang front. They are set for a car that has a track of 55.5 inches, and they mount on a flat subframe. If you go ahead with the mustang front, I'll send you pics of the steering rack. I've actually seen them used on some street rods before.

Right now, I'm really leaning towards the Mustang front. I'm not sure what the WMS to WMS is on an 02 front, but with the group 2 flares that I'm going to be putting on it, I'm sure I can find a correctly backspaced rim to fill both positively and negatively the wheel opening.

Still haven't figured out what to do for the rear though. Been looking at Jag or Corvette rear ends, biggest issue is adapting them to the body.

1970 2002 O=00=O

Guest Anonymous

One of the Lotus 7/Canterham bodies would probably be the easiest fit.

where do you live/is the car - I'd like to see it if you are not too far away.

I live in Mass. Remember the most important thing is this car needs to be put together cheaply, and must carry a pre 1980 body. I DO NOT WANT TO REGISTER THIS AS A 1985 TVR!! I don't need the headaches. I don't like the shape. I had one before and I loved how it drove. I didn't like the fact that you could not see anything in front of the wiper arms. The nose was too long and couldn't be seen from the drivers seat.

If you are not stuck on the mustang front end take a look at a first generation Izusu Impulse front end. They are an unequal length wishbone setup with a hub to hub width that is only a half of an inch wider than the 02. This suspension looks to me like it would be very easy to adapt to the 02, and it handles very well. Izusu contracted out the suspension design to Lotus for the Impulse so for all intents and purposes this is a lotus suspension and if you have ever driven an Impulse you know that it handles like it.

I've often thought about grafting one of these front ends onto an 02; big vented brakes, rack and pinion steering, and superb geometry all designed for a car about the same size and weight of an 02. It would be one big project but that would be a lot of check marks to put on the build checklist.

As an added bonus the front end has a 4x100 bolt pattern and would fit inside stock width fenders. Sleeper any one..?

The mustang IFS is a good setup with a ton of after market support it just seems like it would be harder to fit than the Izusu.

Dave K

63 R50/2

67 2000CS

70 1602-Sahara

73 02 auto-Fjord

73 02 Tii- Taiga

73 02-parts car

75 02-Megasquirted daily driver

84 Euro E28 528iSE