carfifti4

Rear brakes for stock 72 02

4 posts / 1064 viewsLast Reply

Yes I tired to search the forum. I get back everything about rears but the answer I need.

I have noticed that my rear brakes are draging. when coasting to a stop very slowly, you can feel them grab at the last second. I checked the parking brake and it is loose, not tight. so I dont think the parking brake is over adjusted.

Upon removing the rear wheels and the brake drum. I can not find an adjustment thingy? On American cars, theres a hole that you would stick a flat blade and grab a small gear to adjust the rear brake.

How is the adjustment done on a 72 02? The rear brakes are stock, OEM.

Vincent

...ADJUSTING THE EMERGENCY BRAKE AND REAR SHOES IS THE SAME JOB. have the rear end off the ground so you can hand rotate the rear wheels - WITH the wheeld bolted on - holding the drums tight and square.

The adjuster is to the rear of each backing plate (see photos) and with the proper wrench(available from usual sources) rotate the adjuster till the shoes JUST make contact - while you rotate the wheel. Back off the adjuster very slightly tillyou don't hear the shoes scrapping the drum. This is where your 2002 either brakes well or not at all - the rear shoe gap with the drums - and also causes excessive brake pedal travel when braking.........

Buy a repair manual to maintain your Ultimate Driving Machine

340.jpg

Our 2002's have rear brake adjusters located on top of the back of the backplate. They are 2 bolts one on each side of the wheel cylinder. Size 17mm.......Jack up the car and Remove your rear tire for visiblity.

The adjusters are usually frozen by now....so before turning you must place a few drops of penetrating oil, and leave it for a while. These bolts move the brake shoes closer or farther from the drum...........I hope this is what you are looking for...........If after adjusting and the brakes are still somewhat locking then maybe you need new wheel cylinders, or the measurement on the new brake shoes housing is not the same as the older/previous shoe housing. Good luck

If you managed to get the Drums off without a problem, then they cannot be dragging much.

Anyway, adjust them per C.D.'s message, and try not to round off the corners on the hex adjusters. Best of luck.