polloelastico

OT: Anyone ever sold their 02 on ebay?

10 posts / 1151 viewsLast Reply

I apologize if this is too far off topic, but I am considering selling my 02 on ebay, but I am not sure if I like the idea. In a way, it's appealing to not have to show it to a million tire kickers, but personally I would never buy a vehicle on ebay myself.

Anyone have any good or bad experience they would be willing to share.

The big (and selfish) perk that I can think of is that they tend to sell for quite a bit of scratch.

Thanks,

Several years ago, I had an 02 with significant racing history. I needed to sell it to build the car I currently race. I created a web page and tried to post links everywhere that I could. It was not getting enough exposure to sell. I finally ended up posting it out on ebay with a healthy reserve. It did not sell. After the auction, I ended up with four serious bidders that after a series of emails one of them bought the car for close to my "reserve" price. Ebay can be a good marketing tool.

Hope this helps,

Bob

i bought my 1994 325i 4-door on eBay, from a small dealership in Texas.

There were good parts and bad parts. They were less than honest about the interior, and the windshield had a huge crack in it. Also, it looks like someone cracked the front bumper on a parking block at some point or another. There were also a crap ton of rock ships on the nose. I got them to fix the windshield, quoting that a new one would be about the same price as a plane ticket back home. The interior i've since been repairing slowly when surplus '02 funding allows. They knocked off $500 for the rock chips, and told me i should have looked closer at the pics as for the bumper problem (even though the description said "Perfect Exterior")

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the rear subframe that I need to fix, but this appeared after I had the car for a year and drove it daily in Savannah, Ga (City of cobblestone streets)

Just be as painfully descriptive as possible. Nothing makes a buyer angrier than getting something and finding issues that weren't disclosed earlier.

I've bought and sold a number of cars on ebay without problems. Just be sure to include as many pictures as possible and be very clear and legitimate with the description...Be sure to offer the choice for the bidder to come view the car before winning the auction...I'm actually planning on putting my '74 Tii on there soon.

I sold my '72 Ceylon 2 months ago. It sold in 12 hours with a buy it now. I included a link to a slideshow that detailed the car pretty thoroughly.

I've also purchased my wife & daughter's Infinitis off of ebay. I had them taken to a local Infiniti dealer and paid $100 bucks for them to go through it. Cheap insurance is the way I looked at it. I got both of them for thousands off bluebook price. Of course I did the usual research of their feedback.

Good luck.

Doug

'73tii Atlantik

'90 325i

I've bought and sold a number of cars on ebay without problems. Just be sure to include as many pictures as possible and be very clear and legitimate with the description...Be sure to offer the choice for the bidder to come view the car before winning the auction...I'm actually planning on putting my '74 Tii on there soon.

I second what Brandon said

I've sold many a car on Ebay

PLENTY OF PICTURES IS A MUST AND HUGE SELLER

Answer all questions and POST THE ANSWERS-I hate ads that have no posted questions

Make SURE people understand that if you win an auction you ARE BUYING THE CAR

DON'T use "private auction" where seller ID is not disclosed. I WANT my bidders to see who's bidding. Private ID seller's can place as many bids with 2nd screen name (especially if there is a reserve) The put in bids JUST SHY of the reserve

Good Luck

Russ

I bought one 02 from ebay and one from here on the FAQ FS board. In both cases, the sellers posted lots of pics before I would bid. The car I bought via eBay had been for sale locally for months with no takers.

You sound maybe not so familiar with eBay? As a general rule, you need to build up your feedback score (by buying/selling other items on eBay) before you can expect to get decent bids on a big ticket item like a car. You just can't sell a car with a new eBay account and no feedback. Nobody will bid. If you are in that situation, you would be better off putting it on the FAQ FS board.

(well maybe you can pay eBay extra and have it covered with the eBay buyers protection plan if you are a new account...)

I sold my 59k 90 325ic, got my buy it now, three days into the seven day auction, shipped it off and all was well.

I miss the car and want it back is the only problem but I can't blame that on ebay.

Here are a few pictures:

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

DSCN1325.jpg

(well maybe you can pay eBay extra and have it covered with the eBay buyers protection plan if you are a new account...)

ebay's buyer protection plan is available to all buyers regardless of the sellers history, at no extra cost...i've recently come to know, very well, one of their 3rd party, insurance company adjusters and how the plans works, 1st hand

i bought my 325ci from a 1st time seller on ebay...later, filed a claim with ebay because of a bad synchro that wasn't disclosed in the auction, was reimbursed the purchase price by ebay 2 weeks later and and allowed to keep the car