Allenr56

Ansa Exhaust fitment

8 posts / 1715 viewsLast Reply

I'm trying to fit up and Ansa exhaust to my 76 and I am having problems with the hangers. The listing in Bav Auto website says slight hanger modification required, but I can't see any modification short of cutting them off and moving them working. I do have a 74 parts car that happened to have an Ansa and the mounts are in totally different locations (about 2-3"). Was the 76 that much different or do I need to bite the bullet and cut them off and remove them?

Thanks,

Allen

when i fit an ansa on my 76 and didn't have to change anything...are you sure it hasn't been modded by the po?

Thanks for the reply Esty, I don't think it has been modded by the PO, everything looks pretty original, there aren't any signs of the hangers being moved on the '76, which would have been pretty hard to cover up completely in this case. The front mount on the '74 has been moved I believe. Does the muffler on your 76 exit at the center or a little to the drivers side? If I use the stock rear hanger it will be to the drivers side by about 2".

stock hangers and exit on mine take the tips more towards the passenger side of the car from the center

esty767.jpg

the only mod i made was widen the tailpipe cutout for the dual tips

My ansa system needed to be cut and re-welded for the rear hanger as well as having a new hanger welded to the pipe for the front hanger I dont know if the 76 is the same but mine (75) is not as far over as yours. I remember seeing a site with a good discription of the mods.

(see pic)

post-344-13667570426951_thumb.jpg

the 0227 'small' rear ANSA muffler does need major cutting and re-welding of the brackets ON THE MUFFLER to fit a 1976 - Not The Cars Hangers. The larger discontinued muffler is the correct one for 1976 without mods. And the larger one is ALOT QUIETer than the small 0227 can.

4-5456030.JPG

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. The more I thought about it last night I realized that the rear hanger on the muffler would be easy to locate since it is in the center of the car. Just cut a section out of the hanger and reweld the bracket. The front hanger needs to be relocated a little bit also. The whole big bumper - small bumper thing isn't quite right though, my 74 has the hangers on the car in the correct location for the small muffler.