mikebikerad

compression results question??

8 posts / 1118 viewsLast Reply

Heres what I got with a compression test with the throttle wide open. the engine was cold.

1 100-125-145-160

2 90-120-120-125

3 100-130-150-160

4 95-120-150-155

In the 2nd cylinder it hit 30-90-120-120 a few times but went up to 90 120 120 125 after a couple turnovers. This cylinder was the one that was affected the most by coolant in the combustion chamber when I broke last headgasket. What should I do next? I don't think that my valves are burnt. I had it all checked when head was resurfaced.

I did mine cold, and had almost the same numbers

1 100, 130, 145, 160

2 95, 130, 145, 155

3 100, 130, 155, 165

4 100, 140, 155, 165

I'm thinking I need rings, it was last rebuilt in 1991

What else have you done? Valves adjusted? engine history? How about a hot compression test?

ohh forgot to ask

do you have any blowby? I do, enough to dry your hair, LOTS of blowby, that's why I checked my compression

I replaced headgasket 4 weeks ago and have recently installed new fuel pump, used headers with new gaskets, all ignition stuff. Im running pertronix unit. Stock solex 3232 didta. I had alot of water when headgasket busted in and around cyclinder 2. the head was very clean all around 2 from it being driven a little while with water in there. I had the head resufaced and they pulled a few valves to do so. The valves were out to far to resurface. they put them back in correctly. the valves all looked pretty black with some wear on the edges but my highschool aout teacher and machine shop guys said they were alright. I didn't replace valve seals. I probably should have. Thats all I can think of now. I am getting some blow by. not enough to dry my hair though. thanks for staying tuned. I also adjusted my valves a week ago so that couldn't be it.