mikekoch

Rear Disk Conversion, which parts?

6 posts / 1122 viewsLast Reply

I've read the past posts on this topic and I'm not finding what I need. What I need is essentially a basic parts list for this conversion using VW or other available parts, and I need to keep my parking brake. I can fab my own brackets and I've already obtained some material for that purpose.

Yes, I know there are kits available but I really don't want to go that route - it would take the fun out it for me.

So, if you know which year rabbit rotors I need to find, and which year GTI or jetta caliper I can use, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mike

kochm at superspy dot net

PS, if I can get this all worked out to my satisfaction I'll be selling off my new 320i rear parts for cheap. mk

To simplify the quest for rotors (not that they're hard to find) ask for a front rotor for a VW Fox...any year. I used a rear caliper & bracket from an'87 Jetta GLI.

Corvette C5 rear disks fit the rear of the 2002 with little modification. Contact Ireland Engineering for more details....they are very light compared to the drums or any VW rear disks because the calipers are aluminum....

If you go the VW caliper way be sure you you get the slider bracket with them this part will bolt to your adaptors and not all rebuilders include them as part of the caliper. If you buy used look for wear on the slide pins as this can cause the brakes to stick.