Sign in to follow this  
Lars

Sweet!!! 21mpg and a quieter engine....

2 posts / 624 viewsLast Reply

While neither have anything to do with each other I did it at about the same time.

The car was still being hard to start and it smelled really rich so I adjusted the timing some more. It still ran good, although it didn't fly off the line anymore, but it still goes really good. It now smells better, there is less smoke and less soot coming from the exhaust.

I did this when it was at about 180 miles on the travel mileage. I got it to 210 before I had to put 10 gallons in. I'm hoping this tank it will show even better.

As for the noise, I adjusted 2 valves that had a clearance of about .010. Odd thing is they are the same ones that I adjusted before, so either I did it wrong or they came loose. Also I replaced the valve cover gasket since I had a new one and the old one was torn a bit. Of course now it is leaking old around the upper timing cover because the bolt that holds the valve cover on up there doesn't tighten. Luckily I have a replacement timing cover that I hope has some threads still.

Just had to share.

Lars

When the timing is just 'right' your motor will run smoother and quieter - it may not be as punchy off the line, but is nicer to drive. Beaner7102