johnhup

AN fittings: Anything special used to mate them together

7 posts / 722 viewsLast Reply

I am just about to plumb up my EFI project and was just wondering if I should use anything between my fittings? Any special lube or goo of any type?

For the AN fittings..... no. However, if you are using a NPT fitting to tap into something, the NPT fitting needs teflon tape a liquid.

Bob

For the AN fittings..... no. However, if you are using a NPT fitting to tap into something, the NPT fitting needs teflon tape a liquid.

Bob

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Any type of teflon tape in specific? Automotive? Household?

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Any type of teflon tape in specific? Automotive? Household?

you can use any household teflon tape, or i like to use loctite's liquid teflon tape (cant remember the number right now). from what i understand Airforce-Navy fittings are compression fittings meaning they have a sort of mechanical seal not relying on the threads.

When applying teflon tape be careful not to cover the first thread. the tape is a lubricant (not a sealant) and the threads will cut it and you can end up with small "strings" of it getting into the flow if you end up with to much overlap on the starter threads. You don't need a lot of it. No more than two turns.

You can also use Rector Seal or pipe dope. A small can at Home Depot is about 3 bucks. If you use the teflon tape, you wrap in the direction of the threads with 2 or 3 wraps. Like Jack said, make sure the tape doesn't extend beyond the first thread. I like the pipe dope because the excess wipes away. With the tape you have to look at a line of white tape next to your pretty blue fittings. Both act as a lubricant to allow you to get the fittings tight without excessive force. They also help to seal the minor imperfections in the mating surfaces. Make sure that whatever you buy is compatible with gas and oil. Some are not.