Andy74tii

Hella H4 Question

8 posts / 1468 viewsLast Reply

I am looking around for some H4 halogen headlamps. 20 some years ago, I had some on my old 02, and I remember they were Hellas, and had a flat front face to them. Are these Hellas still available, and where is the best place to get them now? Thanks.

www.rallylights.com has everything you need.

Mesa Performance has them as well, don't run anything over 55/60 watt bulbs unless you know for sure you have a high beam relay. You can easily fry the wiring. It's only a concern on early 02's (what I've been told).

http://www.mesaperformance.com/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=accescat/hella.html&category=yes&cart_id=8213909.6312

G-Man

That website sells the exact same headlights that I bought for Karl - remember the ones I had to smash out the glass to get in and couldn't adjust? I don't know if the cars in the U.S. are different, but they aren't the best option in this case for replacing the headlights in 2002's and I can't understand why you guys are still recommending them. For one, they don't have the parking lights attached to them, and seeing as this is about the fourth time I have seem someone tell another person about them since I got riticuled, I have a feeling if I may say, that I am not the only one who has bought them and either went through the process of installing them or sent them back. If I am wrong about which product you guys keep referring people to, please let me know. I will stand happily corrected.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/7in.asp

I don't know if the cars in the U.S. are different, but they aren't the best option in this case for replacing the headlights in 2002's and I can't understand why you guys are still recommending them. For one, they don't have the parking lights attached to them...

I think someone mentioned this before, but I think the problem you had is because the cars in the US are different. Our cars were set up to use sealed-beam headlights, which are replaced as a unit by removing a retaining ring and are adjusted by thumbscrews on the back side. Our parking lights are in the bulbous turn-signal housings, not in the headlights. These H4 units are designed as a drop-in replacement for the sealed-beam units, so in the States, this is as easy as putting in a stock headlight but with better output.

Your car seems to have come with European-spec headlights, which had integral parking lights ("city lights") and were designed from the start to use a replaceable bulb.

I think that to use the headlights you ordered properly, you'd need to get US-style headlight buckets, then put the H4 assemblies in them. And since these are for a LHD application, they probably aren't the best design for Australia anyway (the pattern would make it more likely you'd blind oncoming traffic). You'd be better off contacting some UK outfits to see what they use to upgrade RHD '02 headlights. Maybe someone in the States would buy your current H4s off you.

I didn't post on this issue before because it sounded like Mike Self answered your question, but it seems things weren't settled to your satisfaction. Hope that helps!

-Dave

Thanks. I thought as much with the parking light situation. I've fixed my lights now and they work great, just no parking lights in the front. On the other hand, I wish I had known that in the first place, but like anything I do, I've learned from it!

Thanks. I thought as much with the parking light situation. I've fixed my lights now and they work great, just no parking lights in the front. On the other hand, I wish I had known that in the first place, but like anything I do, I've learned from it!

sealed beam replacements, I believe there were some H4's manufacturered with sockets for the city light bulbs built in. I've seen at least one older motorcycle that used a standard 7" round sealed beam housing that had an H4 headlight unit with a city light in it - as long as it's a standard 7" round sealed beam replacement, there's no practical reason a pair couldn't be used in an '02 (or any other car that used that size & type of headlight unit) to get the city light / parking light inside the headlight housing.........

I just purchased a pair of Hella H4's with "city lights" from ebay. Its actually for an A2 VW Gti, but could work for an 02 as long as you take it out of the bucket it comes in. I think having the city lights hook up is pretty cool to have.

Joey