Floopy hand brake issues

16 posts / 881 viewsLast Reply

Any one come up with a longer pin so a pair of washers can be welded to the pivot plates to make new brearing surfaces and negate the slotted wear in the old frames.

I seem to remember seeing something about this some where, but a quick look in search didn't bring anything up.

Couldn't you just shave down the sides of the tube on the handle itself and add washers to teh inside of the brackets?- Or better yet enlarge the holes in the bracket and have a step down washer machined that will be welded in (or used as a bushing) increasing the bearing surface.

Paul Cain has a nice little upgrade kit; bought one for the 02, and one for the coupe. Anyone have his info handy?, sorry mines at the office. Will post tomorrow if nobody comes up with it.

I would appreciate this info as well. I also have that hand brake issue. My thought was to replace the entire handle.

Steve K might also appreciate this info on the Paul Cain upgrade.

Cris

Email address that I have for Paul Cain is pjcain(at)earthlink(dot)net . Kit comes with photo directions. Price was reasonable and design simple. Can't remember exact price, $20-30, I think. Let me know if email doesn't work, and I'll dig a little deeper in the files.He's in Newport Beach.

Dave V. in NC

Dave,

Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately, the e-mail came back. Can you try to get a hold of him? Thanks

I sent a note to his ebay store (bmwparts) and explained all of the above. That earthlink email is all that I have, and his active ebay store site. You may want to go there and contact him directly. As a by the way, everything that I have bought from him has been top drawer.

Update: I went to the E9 coupe site, and went to his website www.38csi.com (worth the trip) and the email address is still [email protected]earthlink.net

Hi guys,

The kit is still available. It is a combination of thrust bearings and precision washers that clamp the two mounting ears together, with the bearings on either side of the Ebrake arm. Kit is $29.00 + $4 for USPS priority shipping. Comes with installation instructions. Thanks!

Is the kit year specific. My car is a 73Tii. How do I proceed in ordering. Thanks

Paul,

I'd like to order an EBrake kit too. Please provide instructions on how to place an order.

Thanks in advance!

Howdy, guys. Since I guess I stirred the kettle of fish...; If Paul didn't get back to you individuallly; here is what he sent me when I ordered:

"paypal to my email address, or cashiers check to:

Paul Cain

2012 Beryl Lane

Newport Beach, CA 92660 "