Mario

Time capsule + short intro

7 posts / 964 viewsLast Reply

Recently I acquired another 2002 after 10 years w/o one of my own. This was not a planned acquisition, something that more or less came across my path and my fondness for the E10 trapped me once more. No it's not a small bumper car with round lights, it's the last model year after all the kinks were ironed out! ;-)

The car is a one owner 1976 4 speed with 89K original miles, possibly the most original unrestored 2002 I've had my hands on since I worked for the dealer back in the 70's . .Yikes, I'm getting towards middle age . .;-)

I have only had the time to wash it and do a quick mechanical inspection. The car still has original shocks! all the spacers to raise the ride height , and everything works ! Ok, well almost everything, the clutch hydraulics leak, and I have to start it in gear . . . an easy fix.

I need to replace the horsehair pads . . . and needless to say I'll have a personal struggle, but the desire is not to modify a thing , but to leave it bone stock.

Many folks know me from years of BMW message boards and E30 M3s . . along with other cars. I own and operate VSR1.com in NH, where we're building and restoring cool old BMWs . .

Mario L.

i mr mario...welcome

sounds like you have a really nice car...take care of her

Welcome!

I've been owning and driving '02s since 1972 and my current car, an Inka orange '73 tii is what I might call "an exercise in restraint."

Not to say I haven't modded it with a five speed and 3.90 rear LSD, it's just that I've paid particular attention to refitting the missing/worn out bits that the previous five owners have otherwise lost/neglected.

The paint is old but still shines after a repaint in the mid 80s and though I'd love to do a thorough re-do on just about everything cosmetic, it's a fair and honest representation of a 33-year old performance car. I've owned it for a mere 6 years, and I've yet to tear into any major rebuilding projects. It's just fine as-is.

You'll find plenty of opinions/advice on this board.

So...

If I were to acquire a stock squaretail car (my previous '74 is now in Newport RI), I'd likely leave it alone and save my money for a proper (i.e. lighter weight) roundie that needed a rebuild.

Delia

Welcome, Mario. Always good to see another "squarrie" on the board. I prefer to think of the square taillight cars as "properly reinforced", rather than "heavy" ;) And those of us with S14's under the hood will welcome the mechanical perspective you bring from the E30 world.

Ian

'76 M2

http://homepage.mac.com/iandickerson/M2002/

Welcome! Sounds like a nice one.

It could be a good reference model for others looking to figure out PO hacks.

Is it a CA or 49-state car?

and unmolested '02? My two have been daily drivers since I bought the '69 new, and I still find myself grinning every time I get behind the wheel--especially in my 73 with it's nice new engine and 5 speed. I'm with Delia--nice mods that help performance without visually altering the exterior...

cheers

mike