• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Barz

winstontj

Contemplating getting Ireland's 22mm hollow bar set. Is this too much for a street driven car? Currently running all urethane with the exception of motor and tranny mounts, ST springs X4 & HD's on e21 13" turbines. I just realized that I installed my front swaybar upside down so when I jack up the car the bar hits the crank pulley. Instead of switching it around why not just buy new bars? My chasis is rough but I've invested lots of time and money into the engine, trans, suspension & other in the car. Would this be an appropriate next step? Will I appreciate the $400 they cost? Is there a better alternative?

TIA,

TJW

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I am running Ireland 22mm hollow front and 22mm solid rear on my street car. It is really nice. A big improvement over the 22/19 I had previously.

As far as ride goes, it does not change it at all. You definately notice it in the corners though. It corners pretty flat. I also have Koni sport low pressure adjustable shocks and H&R springs which help too.

Worth the money in my book, but I do drive the car hard in corners. Isn't that what they are made for?

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

I am running Ireland 22mm hollow front and 22mm solid rear on my street car. It is really nice. A big improvement over the 22/19 I had previously.

As far as ride goes, it does not change it at all. You definately notice it in the corners though. It corners pretty flat. I also have Koni sport low pressure adjustable shocks and H&R springs which help too.

Worth the money in my book, but I do drive the car hard in corners. Isn't that what they are made for?

Tell that to my girlfriend/fiance! She's already scared to death half the time! Not that I drive like an idiot but everything I do - from repairing rust in the floors to installing urethane bushings, is with the intention of driving the car HARD - as I believe it was intended to be driven.

I'm gonna just bite the bullet and do it. Thanks! OH - A friend (ToddK) has ST barz on his wide-body full race car. Should I consider those as an option? I think they may not be hollow though. They are red if it makes a difference. Same setup as the Ireland stuff too.

E36 

I have IE front and rear w billys and 2" lower springs drives like its on rails.

Also no worries with the front swaw bar interfearing with any parts due to mounting locations.

post-344-136675689726_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Thanks! & thanks Steve K!

Your rear end is quite a bit lower than the front. I realize that's the norm on an 02 but personally I don't like it. Is there anything I should worry about if I keep the front and rear looking level? Will it adversly effect handeling or performance? I almost look at it as needing to lower the front more rather than raise the rear - but like I said I don't like driving around feeling like people are looking at me saying "why is his trunk full of junk?"

E36 

• Administrators

i adjust the hight of the car based on the conditions of the surface. I have to rais it a bit to induce rotation on grippy surface and lower it a little in places with graval or sand. The change is usally about 5mm Hardly noticable in the car stance.

steve

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

where do you start / how do you determine where you want it?

John,

WONDERFUL question as my set will be arriving shortly and I'll need to know the same. Also not having them in front of me, does the bar actually slide? The links have to be fixed because of the location of the mounting points on the trailing arm so is the bushing/mount made in such a way that it slides forward and aft on the subframe?

E36 

• Administrators

you'll be able to slide the mounts on the bar itslef. before you attach the mounts to the bar, make sure it can move freely without binding. there whoudl be very limited resistance in the bar. Once you have the mounts attached to the subframe and bar, you will need to adjust them so that the bar is not preloaded at normal conditions.

At start, set the mounts in the middle and work form there. No one can tell you how YOUR car will react at extreme conditions.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store