• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator help :(

ibjettin

Anyone? Bueller??

No one has changed out their tii alternator with one that has an internal voltage regulator?

go to www dot zeebuck dot com and enter, clicky on tech and go allll the way down to the bottom. There's a part for U tii guys:

Stolen from Zenon's site: (Hope you don't mind Zenon)

Rod Hamilton has successfully installed the 318i alternator in his tii. The conversion involves some fabrication and you don't get to use the 318i's cool geared adjuster bracket, but is still not too complicated. Rod sez:

1. A spacer needs to be machined about 30 mm long to fit the alternator into tii mounting bracket. It is best if it is stepped to fit into the bushing hole and counter bored on the back end to fit the bushing.

2. The front adjusting bracket needs to be bent to step out about 13 mm - simple to do (bench-vice, torch, hammer).

3. Electrical hook up is the same as for a regular '02.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Thanks man!

I read that site before and it inspired me to go for the newer alternator... I don't know how I missed the bottom section there for the tii ;P ...

Stupid question....

Is the 320i alternator the same as the 318i?

I may have gotten the wrong alternator here...?

thanks

I may have gotten the wrong alternator

The E30 alternator is the 318i and the E21 is the 320i. I believe but am not sure - that the only difference is the output. That the E21 is slightly less, say maybe 85amps and the E30 is 115amps... I just totally pulled that out of my A$$ so hopefully someone else will chime in. Zenon's site is legit though so if he says it can be done with the parts you have I'd just trust it and go with it. You can always wait till yours brakes and upgrade again!

E36 

My problem is that when I was swapping everything over from my '73 to my '72 I realized the wiring had been sliced (or missing) and there is no voltage regulator or even all the wires to connect another one. I've already had to fish through most of the wiring when I connected my coil and dist. I thought rather than going through all the rewiring I would just look into the alternator with the built in regulator....

Long story short...

I called around and was told the 320i alternator is the best for the job. It appears that the mounting points on the 320i alternator are not the same as the regular 02 alternator and I couldn't get my bracket to work at all... So my "simple" upgrade turned into a couple hours of frustration. It would have taken less time to go get a regular tii alternator and rewire it...

Anyhow, I'm still trying to get this to work...

thanks again Winston for all your help.

I'm really surprised not more people chimed in here? I know there's people on the forum more familiar with what I'm asking. Please chime in if you can.

I'm hoping to get this taken care of tonight or tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

i'd help if i couldm but my car isnt together right now, and the block is in a land far, far away...

I yanked an alternator, mounting bracket, and all the other related hardware off a junkyard 318i about a month ago. I had the parts replated, but I won't know about fitment for another couple of weeks when the engine goes back together...

Sorry I cant be of more help. By the way, the alternator i yanked off the 318i was, for some reason, an 85 amp.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

My problem is that when I was swapping everything over from my '73 to my '72 I realized the wiring had been sliced (or missing) and there is no voltage regulator or even all the wires to connect another one. I've already had to fish through most of the wiring when I connected my coil and dist. I thought rather than going through all the rewiring I would just look into the alternator with the built in regulator....

Long story short...

I called around and was told the 320i alternator is the best for the job. It appears that the mounting points on the 320i alternator are not the same as the regular 02 alternator and I couldn't get my bracket to work at all... So my "simple" upgrade turned into a couple hours of frustration. It would have taken less time to go get a regular tii alternator and rewire it...

Anyhow, I'm still trying to get this to work...

All of this is simpler than you think. I'm not farmilliar with the tii but they are all M10 blocks so the holes are all in the same place. The differences are between the e30, e21 and 2002's belt allignment. The crank pulley, water pump, fuel injection pump, etc... the belt may be in a different place. Because you have a tii it's IMPERATIVE that you allign the alternator up on the same plane as the crank, water & fuel pulley.

Grab whatever bracket came with the alternator you plan to use. This way, more often than not, the bracket, and the alternator top bushing & hardware, will provide the correct offset for you. Again it's all about making sure the pulley is on the same plane as the rest of them.

Next it's a matter of figuring out the lower adjustment arm which may or may not need bending or modification. Good news is it's cheap and the parts are easily available. If I were you I'd make sure everything lined up on top, then just try out a few things for the adjustment arm. Possibly bend one (make sure you bend it twice like a Z so both attachment points are even with the block/alternator, or space it out with a longer bolt and washers, double nut a stud, etc. You'll figure it out.

Also biggest words of advice - GET YOUR BELTS BEFORE HAND AND CARRY AN EXTRA BELT!!!

If you put a different alternator on and BEND the brackets AND THEN find out the belt you have is too short/long - now you're screwed unless the parts store is next door. Buy a bunch of sizes and return what you don't need. When you find your size write it on the alternator (like: 900mm X 10 belt) and get yourself an extra belt to carry in the trunk. Just being off by a few mm can tear through a belt and the process may take some adjustment and trial and error.

Best of luck!

E36 

Winston, thanks again- I was actually planning on shooting over to the local Pep Boys for some extra fan belts later today and to scout out some brackets.

I know it'll work out, I'm just anxious since it's one of the last things I have to deal with as far as my motor (I'm hoping)

it's one of the last things I have to deal with as far as my motor (I'm hoping)

You realize that because you just said that you'll be asking about a rebuild next week! :-)

our cars are neverending only because we refuse to be happy with the way they are.

E36