BillWilliams

The crazy hoot (touring) idles fine! (nt)

39 posts / 1690 viewsLast Reply

Some of may know I have been fighting an idle problem on my newly assembled touring. Well, today I waxed it, cleaned up the tires, and cleaned the protective film from the door seals. Looks a lot better now David (Otis). Your recent clean car post inspired to go the shed and clean the thing. Think cleaning it was the fix?

Oh, I took another shot at adjusting the fine adjustment in the tuna can. I think I got it right this time. I will not claim victory until it cools down and I try it tomorrow. Maybe this helped more than the cleaning......

Sept2028.jpg

Sept2026.jpg

My touring seems to run better after a good washing, too. Well, maybe it runs the same, but I like it more anyway.

It's a well-known fact (in the UK anyway) that a clean car always runs better than a dirty one.

Congrats......so, what are you going to do now that you have finished the project?

Still need to align it. find a horn contact button and seat release bezels.

Then, I guess pops will rest.

The yellow car needs some attention, but the kitty is empty now. Need to do some more of that saving thing.

The touring still needs coaxing to idle on the warm-up cycle, but still seems to idle fine after warm-up. I am sneaking up on the problem though. Small victories are good don't you think?

Guest Anonymous

looks like 3421912

She is inka though

today I waxed it, cleaned up the tires

Did you use Q-tips? Looks great IMHO -- at least 87 points, good for third place. After all, you've never won before. And did you Armour All the tire treads, young man?

I used those long stemmed Q tips for extra reach but Armor All is not my thing, you know, the concour folks use Zymoil Tyre for that new tire look, not the ricer black look.

87 would be a stretch in the National Capital area, I am not in the "circle". It is like skating used to be.

Wow, looks brilliant Bill. Thats an interesting bar the fog lights are on. Was that a factory piece or self made? Whatever it is, its great for not having to make holes in your bumper!

Tom

A very good friend of mine gave that to me from his 2002 sedan. Mike Pugh has one like it on his touring, mine is stainless, his is chrome.

Mike and I found a reference to the bar in McCartney's Restoration book, the BMW in Great Britain offered that as an opition.

Mike is contemplating reproducing them in chrome.