Sign in to follow this  
esty

real OEM and i

23 posts / 2012 viewsLast Reply

i've come to the conclusion that i don't know how to use real OEM....

i'm trying to get a view of the front suspension parts but can't seem to locate them....such as

compliance bushings

control arms

idler arm

stabilizer rod

rather than calling the parts doohikies or thinhamajigs, i'd be more comfortable calling a spade a spade

i think i need some other parts and don't know what to look for cause i don't know the name of the part it goes on

for example...this part...

thingamajig.jpg..

looks like i need the rubber grease covers (in the middle), top & bottom but don't have a clue what to look or ask for

can one of you guys help educate this dumb blonde and tell me how to use real eom or anyplace else to find these things for my

i have a chilton's and hayne's but they aren't descriptive/detailed enough to help me identification purposes

You're not the only one...I've been trying to come up w/ the part number for the "elephant trunk" rubber tube in the engine compartment. Have no idea where to find it!

BTW -- do you still have clocks?

Dennis

Guest Anonymous

The part you are showing is a tie rod dust boot/cover. If you don't know how long the tierods have been in service it would probably be in your best interests to simply replace the tierods.

[email protected]

Sometimes a doohickie is just a doohickie.

The elephant snoots have been NLA for sometime. Carl Nelson in LaJolla has been reproducing them.

i've come to the conclusion that i don't know how to use real OEM....

i'm trying to get a view of the front suspension parts but can't seem to locate them....such as

compliance bushings

control arms

idler arm

stabilizer rod

rather than calling the parts doohikies or thinhamajigs, i'd be more comfortable calling a spade a spade

i think i need some other parts and don't know what to look for cause i don't know the name of the part it goes on

for example...this part...

thingamajig.jpg..

looks like i need the rubber grease covers (in the middle), top & bottom but don't have a clue what to look or ask for

can one of you guys help educate this dumb blonde and tell me how to use real eom or anyplace else to find these things for my

i have a chilton's and hayne's but they aren't descriptive/detailed enough to help me identification purposes

Why don't you guys just splurge and spend the $40 on the HTK. It's almost like realoem - a little harder to use (I think) but it's got all the part numbers and stuff....

Why don't you guys just splurge and spend the $40 on the HTK. It's almost like realoem - a little harder to use (I think) but it's got all the part numbers and stuff....

part number aren't what i'm looking for...i'm looking for something that shows me what the different components in the ssteering and suspension are called

and sherman, that things a piece of harden'd steel....it ain't broke, why should i replace it...it appears to me all i need are the dust cover i tore getting it off

i may be wrong but i think tilux, one of the contributing members here also sells the firewall drain tubes

maybe he'll chime in

Esty,

What Sherman was saying is that unless you know the age of the tierod assembly, and since you have the front end taken apart already, replace the assembly. The joint assembly (tie rod ends and ball joints) has a finite life and unless you like doing this type of repair often...put new stuff in. I am in the process of doing exactly that now on my 02. Autohausaz.com has the best prices that I have found on ball joint kits and tie rod assemblies. Typically the hardened steel I think you are talking about should never break..the joint wears out...like my 53 year old knees after thirty years in the Army jumping out of perfectly good aircraft and such.

Earl

Esty,

What Sherman was saying is that unless you know the age of the tierod assembly, and since you have the front end taken apart already, replace the assembly. The joint assembly (tie rod ends and ball joints) has a finite life and unless you like doing this type of repair often...put new stuff in. I am in the process of doing exactly that now on my 02. Autohausaz.com has the best prices that I have found on ball joint kits and tie rod assemblies. Typically the hardened steel I think you are talking about should never break..the joint wears out...like my 53 year old knees after thirty years in the Army jumping out of perfectly good aircraft and such.

Earl

thanks earl.....it makes sense when explained, rather just be told it should be done...i like knowing why

and earl...my decrepit old knee's have a few years on your decrepit old knee's...i know what you mean

no women on their knee's jokes from the peanut gallery either....OK!

Esty,

Earl

thanks earl.....it makes sense when explained, rather just be told it should be done...i like knowing why

and earl...my decrepit old knee's have a few years on your decrepit old knee's...i know what you mean

no women on their knee's jokes from the peanut gallery either....OK!

Umm... moving away from the knees comments...

Can't see photos at work unless they are uploaded as attachments so I had no business responding to your post in the first place... With that said... Why not have just looked for generic boots? I have a really good imported auto parts store near me that buys from the same distributor/manufacturer and could just "get one" as they always say. Is that not an option because you NEED BMW parts? Sorry if I wasted another post with my dumb question...

Not sure if your original issue was addressed. Attached is a screenshot of realoem, seems like it should have what you are looking for. Maybe you are having the same issue i did on one of my computers.....for some reason the picture would load but the lower half with the descriptions and part numbers would not.

post-727-13667568960467_thumb.jpg