Sign in to follow this  
hpsenicka

parts car dilemma! (a bit long...)

8 posts / 876 viewsLast Reply

OK.. here's my story....

After giving up ownership of a 1975 2002 to my kid brother about 20 years ago, I caught the bug again and bought a pair of 1973 Sahara 2002's this summer.... one of them complete, has been repainted Polaris and is essentially roadworthy ( still needs some fairly serious debugging...). The second car is basically just a rolling chassis with the interior, engine, and drivetrain mostly stripped.

The driveable car was unfortunately hit in the trunk area ( the reason the PO sold it..) causing damage to the taillight panel, the trunklid, and the left rear quarter panel. The trunk floor is also a bit bent, but repairable without much trouble. The damaged panels have been crudely hammered out to allow the trunk lid to operate, and the tail-lights to be re-installed.

I could cut the trunk section off the rolling chassis and have it grafted on to repair the collision damage, but it almost seems a shame to cut a complete undamaged chassis. The alternative would be to source a rear clip, including the L/R quarter... and save the "roller" for another project. I think it is solid enough that it could be the basis for a race-car project or a ground up restoration if some one is appropriately motivated.

Any input regarding where I might find a relatively clean and straight rear clip would be appreciated. How much should I expect to pay for those panels? Conversely, what would be the value of my complete chassis?? A trade would not be out of the question either....

Edit: I haven't really investigated the cost of new panels, as I assumed they would be prohibitively expense.... at least through the local BMW dealers in Canada!

What would you do??

Me again. Guess who's bored at work...

I have a parts car with a fairly straight rear clip and almost everything else bent. Engine might be OK, too. Email me.

Steve

First, my opinion has been influenced by my Scottish ancestry, but here it is.

You own a car that needs a rear clip, you own a parts car that has a good rear clip, problem solved.

I feel your pain. I keep buying 'parts cars' that turn out to be way too nice to cut up. They don't have titles and then I get to looking at them and suddenly they become another project. I just wish once I could get one that was really wrecked but still had all the parts I need.

anyway

There is a place in California that has good prices on used body pannels, doors n stuff --

double02salvage.com

just an idea...what if you drive the drivable one for now(keep it safe/reliable) while you 'work' on the other, get the body super nice and then swap all your parts from the running car. you can clean/paint/lube/polish your parts as you go, and in the end you will have a really nice(not welded/crashed) done-rite 02.

Ryan

First, my opinion has been influenced by my Scottish ancestry, but here it is.

You own a car that needs a rear clip, you own a parts car that has a good rear clip, problem solved.

My Scottish heritage is usually over-ridden by the fact that I am also an engineer and a pack-rat. If it can be fixed, it will be fixed. Or at least saved to fix at a later date with all the other projects.