peteinjp

Leaky pan- cork gasket advice

3 posts / 658 viewsLast Reply

I will be dropping the sub frame and I figure its the time to tackle that leaky pan..... again. Last time I did it with the engine in place (raised it up as far as I could without draining the coolant) and pulled the oil pump to get the pan out. I used orange flavored sillycone- just a little more than a smidgeon mind you. I did try to peen the bolt holes back into shape- they seemed to be hardened and did not move much. I torqued it to spec if i remember correctly- which I may not. So this time I'm thinking to try the gasket dry- no nothin and just see how it goes. Am I stupid? One reason for trying it dry- aside from reading about it here- is because it is not easy to get sealent here as nobody actually fixes anything. for example I went to a car fixit place- rather well outfitted it seemed and asked them to sell me a helicoil insert and they had no idea. They said that if the manifold stud had stripped the head that I would need to replace the head. And they are the pros.........

Once you have the pan out, clean it so you could eat off it, and put it upside down on a table, see it it rocks around, if it does, no amount of goop or gasket will help - get the hammers out and start pounding at the high spots. Then refit, you can use the cork gasket, but use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. No.3 Non Hardening sealing compound if you can get it. I use it and it never leaks. Beaner7102