MichaelP

CV joints NLA?

12 posts / 1301 viewsLast Reply

and they are expensive. I do have some used ones I could share, though it's hard from looking at them to tell how good they are. Meet me half-way between C'ville and Richmond and you can pick from what I have.

Are you sure you need them? I was sure until I pulled the wheel and discovered that a loose axel nut was the sourse of that thunky noise. Cotter pins are a good thing!

Paul in Richmond

Thanks, Paul. I may take you up on it. Lemme have another look at the axle nut + I'll email you if it still seems to be the CV.

[rant]

Now, fer cryin' out loud, why would MT let something like a CV joint go to the land of NLA? Is BMW supporting production of old parts or NOT? I understand production of some low-volume parts like, uh.. i dunno, extrusions for seals, trim bits and so on are difficult to justify, but a critical, consumable, mechanical part like a bearing that wears out on these old heaps on a regular basis? Grrrrrrrrrrr.

[/rant]

Whew. That's better.

i found a few a couple of months back from my local dealer and was floored on the price of the few that were left.

i emailed keith kreeger (my2002tii.com) and he mentioned them. it's not bmw oem, but it's good german rubber and is WAY cheaper.

hth

dave

Am I missing something here?

I was under the impression that the CV joints themselves were quite durable.... borderline indestructible if you ensure that the rubber boots are in good shape and you don't let the grease become contaminated.

The CV joint boots are available from a number of vendors, and I have found them to be dirt cheap!

Are you guys regularly going through CV joints as a result of normal wear/tear and breakage, or are you experiencing failures due to neglect by PO's?

or physical damage (accident, road debris) '02 CV joints seem to go on indefinitely. Since they don't steer like fwd CV axle joints, they have a much longer life. Thus, there should be plenty of good used ones floating about. Just check the boots for holes/damage before buying.

And if it's a driveline clunk that's making you think CV joint, also check:

guibo

center support bearing

rear driveshaft U joint

rear subframe & diff mount

bolts holding the axle to the diff and the outer stub axle--they've been known to work loose.

cheers

mike

Your impressions are accurate; they are durable. So much so that I've never actually had to replace a CV joint before -- or a halfshaft for that matter, or the rest of the driveline that is available (ok, I have been known to blow up guibos). In this case the CV has gone south - it happens. It just seems odd that given the availability of the rest of the driveline, this item is now omitted. It's a longstanding commitment question on the part MT. Guess I should drop them a note and ask.

take the half-shafts out, repack and repair any boot damage then replace them backwards so they turn in the opposite direction. Viritually brand new CV's for the cost of a little labor.

You should keep in mind that the outer CV joints take a lot more of a beating compared to the inner ones because of the vertical movement. If an 02 has seen a lot of rough roads and/or high speed driving on rough surfaces (like some parts of the I-5), the outer CV joints will wear out. If looking for decent used ones, go straight for the ones at the diff. end of the axle. You should also check the condition of the outboard axle splines, as they can wear for the same reason.

At one point, I spent a lot of time in wrecking yards looking for LSDs. I was really surprised at the number of 02s and E21s that had worn out outer CV joints, despite intact boots.

Gil

During my many years of mountaineering I drove my ' 02 on some terrible roads (I know - someone should take me out and beat me over the head and shoulders with a dull, rusty axe) and still, with 343K miles on the car the CV joints/half-shafts seem to be just fine. I too have been told by the likes of Carl Nelson that they last forever.

Bob Napier

out to be a loose axle nut when I actually got around to taking things to pieces. Of course, that was after I went to the trouble to obtain some used CV joints. So I have a box of used cv joints. All they need is fresh grease and boots as far as I know.

So I have a box of used cv joints. All they need is fresh grease and boots as far as I know.

You should be able to find replacement CV Boots (with grease...) for under to $10 each.