Guest Anonymous

cost of adding AC to 1974 2002 tii - quality AC

11 posts / 2048 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Does anybody have a ball park figure for adding quality AC to a 1974 2002 tii?

I would like to know also. Here in Florida the A/C is needed for around 11 & 1/2 months out of the year.

Not an expert on this but finding an AC crank pulley for a tii may be the challenge.

There is a website I was looking at....www.vintageair.com. Never went much further than bookmarking it.

Dennis

somewhat of an oxymoron...the best units will cool you marginally at best. On the highway they're OK--will lower the temp in the car about 20 degrees on a truly hot day--but with the outlets in the center console your right arm will freeze and your left arm will roast.

Around town, they're not nearly as efficient. To make matters worse, R134 coolant isn't as efficient as freon, so you'll need a larger capacity condenser (in front of the radiator) which will almost require (in warm climates where you really need the A/C) a 3 row core radiator.

Bottom line: it's a tradeoff. I have A/C in my '73--a Frigiking upgraded with a rotary compressor, still using Freon. And it performs as above. I use it on trips when it's really hot, but not much any other time.

The best of the old units was the Clardy--the main penalty is a bulky console that intrudes a bit into the passenger's footwell (but you never ride there, do you?).

But check out VintageAir's web page--IIRC their console looks like the old Clardy unit...

Don't mean to be negative, just factual. Good luck

mike

Keep in mind there are R134A alternatives that are blends, they work much better in former R12 systems. You don't need to completely overhaul/change out everything either.

As I knew nothing about A/C's I had a shop do a custom install for me about 10 years ago. I seem to remember about $1800.00 - not cheap but well worth it for the Houston climate I was in. New Sandin ccompressor, R12, new drier , insulated hoses (mitigates some of the heat transfer coming above the exhaust manifold), oversized condensor and radiator (cut out some sheet metal for fit). I found a nice Behr console, evaporator, and fan. I think the Behr fan blows more air than the Clardy unit I had previously. It worked well for the driver on the hottest of Houston days. It still works great and is way overkill for the climate here in Colorado.

I have the Behr system in my '73 Tii running R12 freon and it's fine for the New England summers....even when it was close to 100 degrees, it cooled the car fine with the vents directly on me and the fan on high.

Cost me about $400 to $500 to convert to a sanden compressorand R-134. Had to fab new hoses with o ring fittings to the new comp and dryer and flare to the evap and condensor. Vintage Air has the new parts , evap and cond will have to come from a parts car.

Try checking with Jack Fahuna at JF Pro. Jack's installed AC is several cars running around SoCal.

HTH

Guest Anonymous

Who did you have do the work here in Houston? Where did you find the kit? Thanks