• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Urethane squeak

JR

To call the noise coming from my Bav Auto urethane bushings a squeak is being kind. Its about 3 octaves beyond obnoxious. Where did I go wrong? Used all of the lube provided on the od and id of the poly bushings and metal inserts. Instructions did not indicate greasing the ends. Will brake caliper lube work? droppimg the rear subframe again. what a !@#$#@er

Good luck, sheesh, thats rough...

By the way, ocatves describe how high the squeak is in pitch...

It is probably many more "decibels" of a normal squeak which would describe the amount of volume of the squeak....

lol, Im a music producer...

Good Luck!, Lance

Lance Jones... my name

1970 BMW 2002 ...my car

www.myspace.com/lancejonesmusic ....my music

As I am about to go down a similar path with Ireland Engineerring's urethane bushing kits, I would also like to know what kind of lube is best for this application.

Apart from silicone brake lube, and some of the dielectric greases intended for use on spark plugs and ignition wires I don't know of any silicone grease that would be suitable.

Any suggestions, or are they essentially all the same??

Edit: BTW, searching Ebay for "silicone lube" may yield unexpected results!

Edit 2: I did find an interesting silicone based lube available through Volvo that apparently contains PTFE... looks like it might be an option.

Guest Anonymous

A local alignment and modification shop tipped me off about this - They use motorcycle chain lube in a spray can to stop the squeaks. It pemetrates well, te carrier evaporates and the synthetic lube stays in to quite things down. I have tried it several times and it has never failed to work for me.

• Administrators

most performance and speed shops will have the proper lube. I do not know exactly what that stuff is. I've hade urethane bushings in my car for years without any noises. Make sure to use a lot of it on all contact surfaces.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

most performance and speed shops will have the proper lube. I do not know exactly what that stuff is. I've hade urethane bushings in my car for years without any noises. Make sure to use a lot of it on all contact surfaces.

steve k.

what's the proper way to lube a new bushing befor installing it....do you coat the bushing and the place it's going?....just smear it on or saturate both surfaces with the/a spray lube?

To call the noise coming from my Bav Auto urethane bushings a squeak is being kind. Its about 3 octaves beyond obnoxious. Where did I go wrong? Used all of the lube provided on the od and id of the poly bushings and metal inserts. Instructions did not indicate greasing the ends. Will brake caliper lube work? droppimg the rear subframe again. what a !@#$#@er

Ha ha ha....

They ALL squeak! Urethane is never going to be quiet no matter what but as others suggest lube away! Last kit I got from Ireland (black urethane rear bushings) came with a tiny tube of di-electric as the lube. I used it *SPARINGLY* and now it squeaks... good news is that I have an ansa muffler so I only hear the urethane when I'm crawling along... at speed all I can hear is VROOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

i've tried to find urethane lube online and can't....anyone have any links?

try autozone, esty. i got a set of sway bar end links there. they sell Energy Suspension brand urethane stuff. i believe they sell the urethane bushing grease in a seperate tube.

weird that the bav auto set didn't come with a packet or 2 of grease, mine sure did.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)