• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 headlight dimmer switch repair...

hpsenicka

I am about to try to "rebuild" the steering column mounted headlamp dimmer switch in my 73 2002..... I have 2 "broken" switches that I have apart, and I think I can make one good one out of the pair.

If there is interest, I would be happy to take pics along the way and document the process.... but has this been done before?? I don't need to duplicate the effort if someone else has already done it. I am thinking this could be a good topic for a FAQ.

Also, a couple of questions that might help me in the rebuild process...

1. Can I use silicone brake lube, or dieletric spark plug lube to lube the moving parts inside the switch... I suppose any grease (i.e. lithium grease. etc..) might do the job, but I would prefer to use one that is electric-switch-friendly. Any suggestions?

2. Can someone point me to an electrical test procedure that I can use to make sure my switch is working correctly before I try an in-circuit smoke test? The switch mechanism seems fairly simple so this shouldn't be a big deal to figure out, but once again... if someone has already documented this... I won't re-invent the wheel.

I can't really comment on the lube but silicon based lubricants sound ok. just avoid any thing conductive.

as for the test either use a multimeter on resistance or continuity setting to check that each closed contact is low resistance or rig up a simple test circuit with your car battery and a bulb. you then connect the switch in series and see if the bulb lights. a simple 12v test light (with a probe) is ideal.

as for the FAQ, I say document it anyway. for the sake of a few photos, you have a record of your own achievement if nothing else...

1973 2002

For contact lube try DeoxIT grease:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.185/.f

But any grease, on clean contacts will keep them lubed. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

For contact lube try DeoxIT grease:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.185/.f

But any grease, on clean contacts will keep them lubed. Beaner7102

This is a great suggestion... I am a huge fan of the DeoxIT aerosol deoxidizing product, but it hadn't even occurred to me that it would be available in a grease format.

Unfortunately this product is not readily available to me, and I don't want to wait a week before I begin reassembly. I am actually more concerned about lubricating the mechanical pivots inside the switch than the electrical contact surfaces... but this product looks like it would be fine for both applications.

most of the time they need repair because someone snagged a coat sleeve on the stalk and bent/broke it...

As for a lubricant, the factory used plain old white grease. Post some pix on how you got it apart and back together again...And BTW, all the 68 thru 73 dimmer switches are the same--only the end knob shape was changed with the modell 71 updates.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

hpsenicka,

I just replaced a dimmer switch that works and is only missing the plastic detent that makes the switch 'click'. Let me know if you could use it or if you can't use it and would want to trade for the detent. Sounds like you're local to me so maybe we can meet up -- unless by "west of Toronto" you mean Alberta ;-)

Steve

'73 2002tii Agave green #2763558

Good news!

I managed to successfully assemble a working headlight dimmer switch from 2 broken ones... photos to be posted shortly!

Bad news!

I also discovered that you can use your dimmer switch to "flash" your high beam regardless whether or not your main headlight switch is functioning correctly... or even with the headlight switch removed!

The main headlamp switch is burned out as well... fortunately I had a spare to swap in place, and my headlamps are now functioning normally!

• 2 years later...