• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome light options

scottt

I'm finding it hard to justify spend about $ 40 on a new dome light for a Non-sunroof car, I have one from a sunroof car, has anyone made it work ? Or is there a reasonable solution anyone's come up with ?

I do not have little alligators or polo ponies on my shirts, so I'm up for just about any low buck ideas.

Scott

73 Atlantik

those used in VW (old) beetles and Squareback/Fastback cars from the late 60s-early 70s...anyone know if they'll work? How about a M-B of that era? That was all Bosch or Hella stuff...

The lights on sunroof cars are screwed to a roof frame that is part of the sunroof support--I don't think it's present on the non sunroof cars...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Those dome lights from the VW Beetles/Fastbacks won't work. I had the same idea while at the salvage yard, so I went around nabbing anything and everything I thought might fit. The closest I could find was a VW Rabbit (the one with the dome light near the rear view mirror). It's about 4mm too big all around, but the connections as well as the few innerworkings of the light are exactly the same as a 2002.

I think I might just auger out my dome hole to make the larger Rabbit light fit. Unless someone brings a ruler with them into my car, they'll never know the difference. And if they do complain, I figure they can either kiss my butt or pay the $40 for an original light.

One option is to spend the money and just get a correct dome light. I mean I know we are mostly just working folks here, but if you want the part and expect it to work, then like most things I say get the right tool for the job.

Thats what I did and it fits perfect, is new, and works exactly like it was designed to for $42.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I know $ 40.00 doesn't seem like much, but, my wife is getting a little touchy after my recent rash of expenditures including, front grill, chrome beltline trim, lower moldings, 320is recaros, a parts car, and about 30 invoices for misc nuts, bolts, springs, paint etc etc etc. Todays small bag o' parts will be another $ 125 or so. Oh, I need seatbelts as well.

Tty, if you stumble across the glued up one, drop me an email at

s dot theurer at comcast dot net. Thanks for the offer.

I appreciate all the input.

I know $ 40.00 doesn't seem like much, but, my wife is getting a little touchy after my recent rash of expenditures...

Get a PO Box, or have parts delivered to your office - goes far towards marital accord!

• Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Of course, it helps when you have an "employee" with the exact same name as your '02!

Regards,

Randy Bryant

(I only hire day laborers and pay with cash)

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Both good suggestions. The delivery part is no problem, most of the pieces come from the large warehouse attached to my office.

It's the money trail that I'm having a hard time with. Maybe I could get some of my pay in cash ??

Maybe we need an FAQ on spousal parts subterfuge ??

OK - so I'm willing to spend $40 for a new replacement dome light assy for my 1976 2002 w/sunroof. My lens is brittle/yellowed, and the position switch is snapped in half. SO WHERE CAN I BUY IT? My searching on Google and at my favorite parts stores all come up empty. You folks all seem to know it costs $40-42, so you must know it's available somewhere...

TIA

Tom (aka visionaut)

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com