Guest Anonymous

alum manifold cover

7 posts / 1247 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

hello, does anyone know if the alum piece that covers the exhaust manifold has spacers btwn it and the manifold or does it bold directly onto the manifold (with washers)? and i assume that this piece is there to dissipate heat and protect the plug wires? thank you chuck

69 2002

Guest Anonymous

there are no spacers, however usualy the bolts break here due to heat bonding them to the holes. The best solution is to run the E30 1983/84 318i exaust manafold gasket. this has a built in heat shield and is easier to work around.

sam

Guest Anonymous

thanks for info. my holes are fine and i put bolts in there with some grease, is there some other lubricant i could use? would love to keep it looking original.

thank you chuck

Use anti-seize compound on the bolts. I use it wherever I put steel bolts into aluminum or where the parts see high temparatures, like the exhaust system.

thanks for info. my holes are fine and i put bolts in there with some grease, is there some other lubricant i could use? would love to keep it looking original.

thank you chuck

You're going to have to be careful because the manifold is much hotter than any other part of the car (besides the combustion chamber). Use something that's made for exhaust manifold studs, possibly graphite based or possibly something for an O2 sensor bung. Also maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a spacer of sorts out of soft metal or something so that the bolts don't break on their own. Once they brake off and rust up you'll almost never get them out unless you drill & tap new holes.

Get some stainless steel bolts at the hardware store and goo 'em up with antiseize compound; they'll come right out five years from now.

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

great advice, thank you, chuck