PSloan

She runs!!

14 posts / 758 viewsLast Reply

I spent the evening tonight after work installing a new starter, plugs, fuel lines, ect on my 69 1600. I rebuilt the carb the other day and bolted her on. Today i put some 94 in the tank - primed it and tried to start it. It took a long time - but finally it fired up and ran as smoothly as I could have possibly hoped. However, it died of suffocation after about 15 seconds. The gas pedal is seized so theres no linkage attached to the carb. I'm assuming after that I flooded it with my excitement. whatever the case - I'm very happy it didnt knock or anything like that. The oil pressure shoots up to about 30 psi very quickly (or so the aftermarket gagues tell me) which is pleasing news as well. I'm pretty excited!

my 69 1600

sorry for the hijack but could someone tell me the differences between a 69 1602 and a 69 2002

my 69 has the 2002 badge

my 69 1600

sorry for the hijack but could someone tell me the differences between a 69 1602 and a 69 2002

my 69 has the 2002 badge

check the casting number on the head, IIRC a 1602 head is 1.6L whereas a 2002 head is 121, 121t, 121ti for that vintage. a 1602 head will not work on a 2002 block.

other than engine size they are essentially the same, cept the all-alluminum look front grills on 1600.

now, back to PSloan. having success with your 1602, surely you are apt to keep it, right? sooooooo, what's the word on that ti? glad to hear you've brought this back from the long sleep.

Jerry,

When do you need help on mounting that engine?

thanks for the offer. i've GOT to paint my project car first. at least get it in primer. i'm soooo close. it's only been 2.5 months of sanding. maybe early october.

my 69 1600

my 69 has the 2002 badge

check the casting number on the head, IIRC a 1602 head is 1.6L whereas a 2002 head is 121, 121t, 121ti for that vintage. a 1602 head will not work on a 2002 block.

other than engine size they are essentially the same, cept the all-alluminum look front grills on 1600.

now, back to PSloan. having success with your 1602, surely you are apt to keep it, right? sooooooo, what's the word on that ti? glad to hear you've brought this back from the long sleep.

Yes im def. going to keep it. I want it to eventually be my daily driver really. The AC and 5 speed make it well suited for houston traffic. and yeah - is it a 1600 or 1602? When was the switch? Esty, mine was badged as a 2002 as well with a 74 e12 engine. jokes on me.

Guest Anonymous

I believe they are one and the same, but I may be wrong...

Supposedly the 2 is to distinguish the 1600 2 door vs the 1600 4 door. Every car ending with "00" was a 4 door - except the 1600. They just figured it out slowly i guess.

come into the US were badged as 1602s, but sometime in late 67 or perhaps with the 68 model year, they were badged as 1600's for the US market--probably because the NK 1600 4 doors were not well enough known in the US market to cause confusion--and "1600" sounded cooler than "1602".

mike

Guest Anonymous

go by Matt Groners if you need some parts or professiona help. He is an old friend and a good guy!